• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (3 Viewers)

Simon,

I met you at Stithians Saturday 5th Jan. You said that you needed sightings of common birds as well as rarities for the Stithians 08 list. Is the list online somewhere? Do you include sightings at the North hide also?

Graham

Hello Graham, welcome to BirdForum and to the Cornwall Birding thread.

Hume's Yellow-browed Warbler still present at Tehidy CP today. Has anyone actually heard it call yet? I presume they must have to confirm the id as pale/funny y.b's do occur.

If anyone's going along tomoz and could give a transportless birder a quick lift from Camborne or Redruth please contact me at 07976377215. All lifts will be very gratefully recieved!

Thanks. Henerz.

This bird is looking like a HUME'S now. Still to be confirmed 100% but could well be.

Henerz, i will be going tomorrow probably (workin today). Will have rugrat in tow (she's already seen it but going for the squirrels!) but no probs giving you a lift if you need it.

January 2008 Review.

The January 2008 Monthly Bird Review of Birds in Cornwall is now on the website. See HERE. Why wait til the end of February for your Birdwatch magazine when you can have the monthly review an hour after the month finishes!!

The Iceland gulls at Newlyn harbour.
The adult is mobile and flies with the herrings, the juvenile is usually on the water at the back of the harbour but can be seen on the roof of the ice plant or the fish market.
The Black neck Grebes are towards the mouth of the harbour or the new floating moorings where the Lifeboat is tied up.
No sign of the Divers today.
Five juvenile and one adult Mute Swan off Tolcarne made for impressive flying displays.
There seem to be as many boats being scrapped as are fishing - very sad and also confusing as 7 million is being spent on a new fish market.

Attachments

• iceland ad newlyn.jpg
    iceland ad newlyn.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Iceland juv newlyn.jpg
    Iceland juv newlyn.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 71
i managed the adult iceland gull this morning around 09.40 as chris stated it was flying around with the herrings. also had 2 gn divers and 2 bn grebes in the harbour although the grebes were heading out to the open sea. also black redstart on a roof..

Trevollard Farm near Saltash.

1 Green Sandpiper,1 Common Sandpiper,1 Yellow Wagtail pos easten race.

Chris Buckland.

Attachments

• IMG_2394_1.jpg
    IMG_2394_1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2390_1_1.jpg
    IMG_2390_1_1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 67
Interesting record Tav94, am I right in thinking there was also one reported last year in a similar area that was though to be an eastern race?

Yellow wagtail

Yes thats right i found the one last year not far from this location might brethe same bird This is a pic of the one from last year i found it on the 21 of Feb the outher side of the river.

Attachments

• yellow wagtail.jpg
    yellow wagtail.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 82
The wagtail is a dead ringer for the one i found at Helston Sewage works in January 2005. Of interest a mate of mine has seen loads of Yellow Wags looking like this one in Morrocco.

Lower Trevollard Farm today

Yellow wagtail still showing well allso A Richard's Pipit in the area very flighty in with a small flock of Meadow Pipits on the lower fields this arfternoon.

Chris Buckland.

Attachments

• IMG_3015_1.JPG
    IMG_3015_1.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3007_1.JPG
    IMG_3007_1.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3005_1.JPG
    IMG_3005_1.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3004_1.JPG
    IMG_3004_1.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 64
Richard's Pipit 15/2/08

Seen this afternoon in the smame fields with Meadow piits,Yellow wagtail still about.

Chris Buckland.

Cattle Egrets

2 Cattle Egrets near Tremerton,view from the Voss Road in pasture with BH gulls.Richard's Pipit and Yellow Wagtail at Trevollard Farm this morning.

Chris Buckland

Yes Henerz1 has turned up some nce stuff in last few weeks there was a Yellow browed there in Oct as well as a Osprey in Sep.

Chris Buckland.

I hope somebody can help i am hearing rumours of a Bittern in Cornwall around the St Austell area any advice would be appreciated.

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back