• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (5 Viewers)

Only just in Cornwall.... the Saltash Goose makes the news....

Jeezus! Look at the bottom photo on the link above. It claerly shows a nice neat line across its back where its tertials have been cut off! Defo escape farmyard garbage.

Out of interest, there is a full winged, unringed Lesser Snow goose on the Millpond at Hayle. Cracking little bird but far too tame for gen!

Thanks for that. I agree that it's worth supporting your county birding society. As a matter of interest how do other Cornish birders feel about this?

some of the people that use the hides are really annoying me at the moment. they leave the logbooks out in the open even though they havent filled them out, so the books get soaking wet and spend the evening drying off in front of my fire. i aquired a load of wood from work the other day (practically £90's worth) and made new flaps for the southern cut off hide as the the old ones were twisted and warped and leaked in rainwater. after sawing them, planing them to fit and putting 2 coats of waterproofer on them i fitted them. i then put eyes and hooks on the 3 that lift upwards to stop them slamming down. 3 days later some-one had managed to break all the hook fittings. i wouldnt mind so much if some-one left an apology. dont these idiots realise that i do the work as a volunteer and most of it comes out of my own pocket. a lot of the tools i have bought myself and i also paid for the waterproofer, hooks, new door latches etc. i use my dinnertime to print off RSPB events diary's and other things for people to look at and they are left out to get wet and ruined. hence my remark about going back to padlocks. if it doesnt change the mindless few are to bugger it up for the appreciative majority...

Maybe there's case for making it members only for the hides based on all the trouble you've been through. There is ample viewing spots around the reservoir where visitors have the opportunity to act moronic without affecting others.
It is however good to meet people from far and wide in the hides so publicising hide ettiquete perhaps on the door of the hide could improve the situation?
Just suggestions.
Thanks. Henerz.

Maybe there's case for making it members only for the hides based on all the trouble you've been through. There is ample viewing spots around the reservoir where visitors have the opportunity to act moronic without affecting others.
It is however good to meet people from far and wide in the hides so publicising hide ettiquete perhaps on the door of the hide could improve the situation?
Just suggestions.
Thanks. Henerz.

bearing in mind the time of year i wouldnt be surprised if it was local birders to the county. i'm going to get a proper rack made up for the logbook, more substantial eye's for the flaps and if they still dont behave then i think it may have to be padlocked.

I think a note somewhere obvious in the hide to tidy up after yourself and not to break bits of the hide off might help quite a lot though.

On a lighter note, has there been much around birdwise at the res. recently?
Thanks. Henerz.

I would go back to putting a coded lock on the doors. The hide in the southern cut is very rarely used. Its only had the hammer cos of the bittern. I would leave the path to grow over a bit too. That deters the local idiots going down the path in the first place. Any birders wanting to get to the hide will do so anyhow.

I cant believe it would be any of the local birders that have caused damage to the hide though.

I would go back to putting a coded lock on the doors. The hide in the southern cut is very rarely used. Its only had the hammer cos of the bittern. I would leave the path to grow over a bit too. That deters the local idiots going down the path in the first place. Any birders wanting to get to the hide will do so anyhow.

I cant believe it would be any of the local birders that have caused damage to the hide though.

What happened to the gate by the road which you had to go through to get to this hide?. Back in the 1970s you used to need two keys, one for the gate and one for the hide. Roger

one of the gates is off for repair and another will shortly follow. rather than lock the hides, i'll lock the gates..

Seems like a good idea to me.
If you stand on the road and look down the reservoir there is a bay which is out of sight on the left side. To get to this bay I recall you drive up the road, park by either a school or church and then walk down a lane to this bay. Back in the early 1990s there were two American waders there, probably in October. I can't remember what the waders were now although I expect Pectoral Sandpiper was one. I wondered whether any of the local Birders ever checked this bay now or whether access is still allowed. Roger

I know the route you mean Roger. That is still part of the walk you do if you walk the whole reservoir. That bay you mention certainly is good and it's just a shame it's not on the well-trodden trail as some good stuff must be missed. On my last visit a month ago now I flushed a Cattle Egret from edge of that bay (possibly the second bird which isn't reported too often) on my walk around the res. It is a fair walk though so understandably not many people do it!

I know the route you mean Roger. That is still part of the walk you do if you walk the whole reservoir. That bay you mention certainly is good and it's just a shame it's not on the well-trodden trail as some good stuff must be missed. On my last visit a month ago now I flushed a Cattle Egret from edge of that bay (possibly the second bird which isn't reported too often) on my walk around the res. It is a fair walk though so understandably not many people do it!

it can also be scoped from the opp bank when walking from the dam to the cut off.

it can also be scoped from the opp bank when walking from the dam to the cut off.

Thanks for the above posts, I am glad that this bay is still watched. I think it was 1992 that I was last there and the other wader was probably a Buff-breasted Sandpiper. I recall that we saw one of the waders easily but it wasn't until we actually walked along the shore of the bay that we spotted the other wader sitting down amongst the stones. Roger

Ring Necked Duck reported again today on Stithians (southern cut off). The bittern hasnt been reported now since 18th March so this bird has presumably gone with the higher water levels not having helped. keep looking though cos it could hide away in the back of the scrub for weeks and not be seen...

Thanks for the above posts, I am glad that this bay is still watched. I think it was 1992 that I was last there and the other wader was probably a Buff-breasted Sandpiper. I recall that we saw one of the waders easily but it wasn't until we actually walked along the shore of the bay that we spotted the other wader sitting down amongst the stones. Roger

Still a pretty good (and fairly underwatched) part of the res that bay, Roger. There has been Buff breast and Pec there in more recent years.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back