• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

Great advice Darrell, patience and being in the right area was rewarded with great but fleeting views of at least 3 different birds, 2 adult and 1 juv. Seawatching proved less fruitfull with only large gulls seen off rame point during an hours casual viewing. 7-8am.

cheers mark.

Excellent Mark
Glad you found them :t:

Darrell

What a surprise, hiding behind the internet once again. You manage to spout all this crap Dave on Bf yet you stand less than three feet away from Me a few days ago on Lelant Platform and say nothing to my face, you spineless B*****d. You even looked through your bins when you walked onto the platform and then stopped walking when you saw it was me. I purposely said nothing to you to see if you would actually put into words what you write on here, but no. Not a word, yet you wait a week or so and then spout off on here again. The few times we have met previously? I cant even remember what was said. Very memorable. And i doubt i would be surprised by the 'quarters' sending you e-mails. What are you talking about 'recruiting you for ther website'?? If you mean asking you to send in your sightings?? I put peoples sightings on because not everyone have pagers etc and it is a permanent record on the website. The rest of the info comes from RBA. I update as and when i can to keep a record of birds in Cornwall. Where else can you find all the news for birds in the county on one page on the internet, accompanied by photographs occasionally. Which other Cornwall website has the amount of information and photographs, trip reports, monthly reviews, site map, rarity galleries, tide and weather info, birding news etc etc. Its not all about the recent sightings.

Stupid, Dave, I am not. Please don't underestimate me. You must do a lot of crosswords judging by your eliquent replies. You may notice that i have not said anything personal about you. You however continue to say things of a personal nature to me. And you say Im morally bankupt.
Dont need your praise thankyou. You are however welcome on board should you wish to go on one of the pelagics next year. (just to show im not morally Bankrupt)

OK Paul let’s go through your latest diatribe step by step.
Lie 1. I am not hiding behind the Internet in the way that you imply. However I do find it a useful medium because all that is written, cannot be edited or distorted by you, but is there for all to read and judge for themselves. Indeed our meeting the other day is a classic example. In your account you have managed seven lies in just three sentences, quite impressive even by your own low standards.
Lie 2. I am not spouting off. If you care to look carefully at my posts you will find they are nearly all responses to what you have said, with the exception of my original query, which I answered myself 40 minutes later.
Lie 3. Not crap as you so “eliquently” put it, but the truth. I have made every effort to keep every comment factual and correct, which is why despite some pathetic attempts you have been unable to refute anything I have said.
Lie 4. Less than three feet away, I don’t think so! You were standing with Mark and Mush and their telescopes between us, three foot would have a little crowded don’t you think? But then when has a little thing like the truth ever got in the way of you using a good sound byte?
Lie 5. As soon as I got to you, I greeted both of you by name, Mark readily responded, you however didn’t even have the common decency to say hello, but totally blanked me. Apparently according to your perverse logic this is acceptable for you to do but not for me.
Lie 6. You spineless B*****d? Unlike you Paul throughout this thread I have tried to avoid confrontation and stuck to truth and fact, you on the other hand have at almost every opportunity tried to raise the intensity of the debate. You might perceive this as weakness but I personally find your bullying, aggressive and arrogant nature distasteful and offensive. Indeed I may have given up on this thread long ago if I had not been brought up to stand up to verbal bullies like you and not be intimidated by them.
Lie 7. It was me who walked the full length of the platform to say hello to you. You did not budge an inch!
Yes we have only met a few times whilst birding, probably only about six, but of those I can think of at least four occasions when your behaviour was at best questionable.
I think that you would not only be surprised but also shocked and disappointed at some of the people who have contacted me. I obviously won’t name names because unlike you, I believe that PMs should be just that, private.
I don’t have a pager either what has that got to do with it?
As I’m sure you are well aware all the national bird services keep a permanent record of sightings, in fact Birdguides supply our county recorder with all records they receive for Cornwall and they also have rare and scarce bird photo galleries often with far better photos than you. At least they are correctly identified and labelled unlike some of yours.
There are far better websites than yours for local weather and tides and as for your trip reports, why have you got reports on the Dominican Republic on a Cornish website? There are way better sites with thousands of reports, if that is what you are looking for.
As I have already pointed out (and you have agreed) your site rarely has recent sightings, in a meaningful sense and as for monthly reviews, well I think your record speaks for itself!
I notice you have conveniently sidestepped the issue of you suppressing information you are begging people to send you.
You say you are not stupid but as we have seen you are a serial liar. I prefer to let the members of this forum make up their own minds who to believe. However, if we take you at your word and accept that you are not stupid does that mean that you lied when you wrote that you didn’t know what I meant when I said that you had run away with your tail between your legs to lick your wounds? After all even now you have been unable to refute any of my points, your silence if deafening. So what is it Paul, stupid or liar (or both)?
“i have not said anything personal about you” Really Paul? Then what do think calling me a “spineless b*****d” in your last post is? As ever what you say may sound fine until you examine it and find that it is either nonsense or as in this case a total lie. The things I have said about you although personal are sadly true, if you can show otherwise I will gladly retract them and apologise. So far your only response seems to be plenty of bluster and vitriol followed by unnecessary profanities and expletives.
Thanks for throwing my olive branch of praising your pelagic efforts back in my face. I note that your invite comes only after the end of the season despite you being under subscribed for the last few trips. You’re not playing to the crowds and looking for a sympathy vote are you Paul? I think it’s a bit late for you to try and play Mr Nice Guy; you have already exposed your true self.
Apologies to everyone else for such a long reply but I feel it’s important to counter in detail all the nonsense you spout.
I look forward to your measured reply.;)

Dave Parker

P.S. I’m intrigued by your statement on your site that the Wilson’s Petrel at Pendeen on 20/8/09 came through early morning. RBA don’t give a time and you have not acknowledged anyone else. Do you know something I don’t?

Black-browed Albatross' at Porthgwarra and Scilly

I have been in touch with Bob Flood on Scilly regarding the two different sightings of Black-browed Albatross and confirm that there are in fact two different birds involved. The Porthgwarra bird was aged as a second year bird with a dark horn grey or olive coloured bill with a dark tip, grey sides to the nape and a limited amount of white in an otherwise dark underwing. The Scillies bird looks exactly like the illustrations on p.45 (illustrations: 1a and 1b) in the Helm/Scofield book (Albatrosses Petrels and Shearwaters) and has been aged as a fifth year bird.

There was a further sighting of a Black-browed Albatross off Ireland the morning after the Scilly sighting. It would be useful to receive a desciption of that bird as well.

[ Do you know something I don’t?[/QUOTE]

I know lots you dont. The offer of the Pelagic was for next year, if you read the post properly you would have known that. All of the Pelagics this year were full apart from the final one when i needed two others for a full boat. I thought everything you said was factual and correct. Obviously not.

I also do the Isles of Scilly Bird Group website Dave. How come you don't analyse and slag that in the same way?? That in itself just proves you have some personal vendetta. Anyway, you're boring me now. But thanks again. You are obviously still using the website along with the other 12,000 visitors per month.

All the very best. Hope you have a bird filled Autumn.:smoke:

Oh and Birdguides is run by a group of people on a full time basis. Cornwall Birding, as i mentioned before, is done in my own time. Monthly reviews are still more up to date than anywhere else on the net for Cornwall in fact they aren't done anywhere else as far as Im aware?

Last edited:
Bird Guides...
Brown Shrike, Lizard Present 12:25
"probable 1st-winter west of the A3083, north of the road midway between the village and Kynance Cove for the 2nd day; park at the village or Kynance Cove; don't park along the road"

Last edited:
Shrike showing as "probable" on RBA and "unconfirmed" on Birdguides..

Firecrest finally reported at Loe Pool. Wouldnt be surprised if it chucks up a Yellow Browed shortly...

Firecrest = top bird........

Bird Guides...
Brown Shrike, Lizard Present 12:25
"probable 1st-winter west of the A3083, north of the road midway between the village and Kynance Cove for the 2nd day; park at the village or Kynance Cove; don't park along the road"

Apparently is proving tricky to see and flighty but well worth the treck Ash!

Good afternoon all! I can’t believe that nothing of interest has happened in Cornwall since the 27th September. In fact, going back several weeks, apart from the prob Brown Shrike and BB Albatross, megas of course, bird sightings have hardly been mentioned. Lot’s of future pelagics and personal arguments, but not much birding :eek!:

Talking of sniping, I have been to Marazion several times over the last week or so and cannot make any of the obvious Common Snipe turn into Jacks. Has anyone any information on the report of 3 Jack Snipe there on Monday? I was there on Monday in a group of several birders none of whom could locate a Jack Snipe. In fact, when the birds on the marsh were all flushed by a huge black kite…….sorry, didn’t mean to excite you there, a black kite owned by a wind-surfer on the beach, not one of the six fleeing Snipe was a Jack! I am not doubting the report, ;) it wouldn’t be the first time that I have missed an obvious bird, but I would like to know that I was at least looking in the right place.

I have another question about Marazion birds and it concerns the reported Garganey. Is this a juvenile, female or eclipse male? I believe I have seen it. There is a duck there that looks like a female teal, but has a blue/grey bill and has flashes of white on the underwing. Is this it?

Thanks for your help and let’s get this thread back on track. :t:

Garganey still on Hayle as well Steve. I assuming (probably wrongly) that one of them is the juv found at Stithians by Tim Twiggs about a month ago. It had quite a distinct white supercillium and white patch on the side of it's head to help pick it out amongst the fem and eclipse Mallards.

Wood Sand reported again today from Stithians...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back