• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

2 x Bittern and the Red-crested Pochard again on Loe Pool this afternoon. Also 6 Woodcock viewed from the path.

No sign of the LT Duck again!!! :storm:

Saw the LT Duck just after you left - it was in Carminowe Creek along with a drake Goosander. Sorry you missed it again!

Also 2 Firecrests along the path and a few divers offshore, including 2 Red-throats.

Hundreds of Redwing and Fieldfare in and around Tehidy Country Park. Also a huge flock of Finches in the fields alongside the country park ranger's entrance by North Cliffs. Unfortunately, the sun was right behind them so id was difficult. All those that came close were Chaffinches, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Brambling with them, I've seen them there before.

Loe Pool for me tomorrow! Which path are you viewing Woodcock from, Simon?

Hundreds of Redwing and Fieldfare in and around Tehidy Country Park. Also a huge flock of Finches in the fields alongside the country park ranger's entrance by North Cliffs. Unfortunately, the sun was right behind them so id was difficult. All those that came close were Chaffinches, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Brambling with them, I've seen them there before.

The one you did the other day Steve that passes Lower Nansloe

Daniel and Ilya got into a Water Rail in that scrubby bit by the stream which i missed but from there to the pool we had the Woodcock. One was sitting out in the open on the ice in all that scrub. Great view. If i can get out of Marazion by lunchtime i'll be there again for this LT Duck. May scope off Loe Bar as well see if i can pick up a RT Diver. The Bitterns were seen from the same path sitting up in the reeds to the right the hide around the little island but both birds were picked up scoping through the area. waste of time with bins.

Take care in the car park, it's treachorous!!!

Yeah - I've seen huge flocks of Chaffinches in those fields in 2007/2008 probably 2000+ but never picked a Brambling out. Having said that back then i probably didnt look hard enough (i think we all remember our first 12 months of birding as being a bit embarrasing).

Same, Was the RC Pochard from the Hide?

Hi Ash,
It probably could be seen from there but you would be looking into the sun in the morning. Best to park at Coronation Boating Pool car park and walk out on the east side via the sewerage works and Lower Nansloe. It was in with a huge flock of Pochard.
Good Luck
Dave

The Black swan at Swanpool (Falmouth) has departed taking with it a Mute Cygnet (only 5 of the brood left).
The remaining Swans are surviving the ice - strangely they haven't taken to the sea or maybe they can't 'take off' ?

Attachments

• Bswan.jpg
    Bswan.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Swanpool Ice.jpg
    Swanpool Ice.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 32
The Black swan at Swanpool (Falmouth) has departed taking with it a Mute Cygnet (only 5 of the brood left).
The remaining Swans are surviving the ice - strangely they haven't taken to the sea or maybe they can't 'take off' ?

I would also imagine the public are feeding them quite well as well.

I had a colour ringed BH Gull there on the 5th. Turns out the bird was ringed as a pullus in Co Mayo.

Hi Ash,
It probably could be seen from there but you would be looking into the sun in the morning. Best to park at Coronation Boating Pool car park and walk out on the east side via the sewerage works and Lower Nansloe. It was in with a huge flock of Pochard.
Good Luck
Dave
Thanks Dave. Looking out the window I doubt I'll be going today, a lot of snow here in carbis bay!!!

Thanks Dave. Looking out the window I doubt I'll be going today, a lot of snow here in carbis bay!!!
Today 06:47

What a pair of wimps we are Ash :cat:

It was hard enough getting in and out of Tehidy Park yesterday so this extra snow hasn't helped. I'm hoping those Helston birds hang around, because I'm not venturing out today. The snooker's on, the room is warm and the beer cold. Cheers B :)

So Simon, those Woodcock! Looking into the scrub, flooded woods, or out in the open?

Loe Pool

It gives me great pleasure to announce -

LONG TAILED DUCK IN CARMINOE CREEK!!! B :)

At last after 4 attempts..

Red Crested Pochard is now a pair, they were drifting around with the Wigeon. Great views.

drk Goosander, 4 GC Grebe and Gadwall also in Carminoe Creek with Firecrest nearby.

Goldeneye just outside the creek

Pochard were 100+ again.

Sorry Simon, just re-read your post. Sounds like they are between the little stream with the concrete bridge across it and the pool. Yes?

It was hard enough getting in and out of Tehidy Park yesterday so this extra snow hasn't helped. I'm hoping those Helston birds hang around, because I'm not venturing out today. The snooker's on, the room is warm and the beer cold. Cheers B :)

So Simon, those Woodcock! Looking into the scrub, flooded woods, or out in the open?

Flooded woods Mr Cox. Teal at Nansloe this morning in the stream

Yeah :-O
Loe pool will have to wait until next weekend. 1 Male blackcap in garden and c.20 Redwing

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back