• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

Hi Simon,
I have it on good authourity that the news broke first on RBA (look at the timings) and both Birdguides and BLSW would have picked up the news from them.
The reason it did not appear on the CBWPS news page would be that, at the time, permission had not been gained from the news services to use their information. As you will now see from the top of the news page this has all changed and all three have said it is ok to use their information. So hopefully some of these gaps will be closed. However remember the news services put in a significant ammount of time, effort and money to gain their information and if any one wants cutting edge info I guess they will have to pay for it. They are businesses after all.
That said, I have no idea who actually reported the birds at Par, so couldn't possibly comment on them. It is not inconceivable that they were only there early morning, besides, I can't believe anyone could mess up the id for such striking birds, could they?
Dave

Got it Dave - Just trawled through RBA'S archives as i have full access through subscibing to the full National service. I very rarely look at the news on their website which obviuosly i should have done. Just wondering if i was out of pager reception when the message was fired out.

Thanks for clearing this up...

I'm looking for estimated numbers of Redwing and Fieldfare for the county over the recent cold spell. The last time we had such an influx was back in 1991 and all we could report was "Tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands" so I'd like to come up with a (slightly) more accurate picture based on sightings and guesswork rather than guesswork alone!!

From my own meanderings between Saltash / Looe / Millbrook I reckon c30,000 Redwing to be a conservative estimate in this area. 500 Redwing and 200 Fieldfare picking at the ice in the drained Millbrook Pond will live long in the memory!

Darrell

I'm looking for estimated numbers of Redwing and Fieldfare for the county over the recent cold spell. The last time we had such an influx was back in 1991 and all we could report was "Tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands" so I'd like to come up with a (slightly) more accurate picture based on sightings and guesswork rather than guesswork alone!!

From my own meanderings between Saltash / Looe / Millbrook I reckon c30,000 Redwing to be a conservative estimate in this area. 500 Redwing and 200 Fieldfare picking at the ice in the drained Millbrook Pond will live long in the memory!

Darrell

As you know Darrell different observers will tend to produce very different estimates, but I feel that the bulk of the winter Thrush movements have happened on the south coast, there has been a large movement around the Camel but nothing like the numbers you have experienced in the south of the county. My estimate for the Camel area for Redwing would be in the low thousands and much the same for Fieldfare, surprisingly I have noticed very little westerly movement of Lapwing and virtually non for Skylark.

Colin

Darrell

I've visited about 8% of the whole Lizard Peninsula since the new year. During that time, I've seen c. 4,500 Redwings and c. 1,200 Fieldfare. Assuming that the areas I've visited are representative (not unreasonable), that gives a figure of 56,250 Redwing and 15,000 Fieldfare on the Lizard Peninsula.

Cheers

Ilya

Stithians - Reservoir now 85% frozen over this evening and very depressing. Must have been very cold on Wednesday night as it was only 50% frozen that afternoon

Counts on my blog

I have taken over the Cornwall Birding website for a bit. I will try to keep it as up to date as possible but with my GCSE's and other school stuff I may slip behind at some points. Bare with me, Thank you
Ash

Proof mistakes can be made when submitting/copying news (ie:RC Pochard)....
BirdGuides say, Bittern, St.Ives, one in a garden at Little-in-Sight this morning
where as RBA Says Black Redstart.
which one is most likely :t:

BirdGuides say, Bittern, St.Ives, one in a garden at Little-in-Sight this morning

And where did they get the news from I wonder??

I changed those colours Ash. Nice photos of the thrushes you put on Cornwall Birding BTW.:t: Ive put a few on my blog.

I have taken over the Cornwall Birding website for a bit. I will try to keep it as up to date as possible but with my GCSE's and other school stuff I may slip behind at some points. Bare with me, Thank you
Ash

Greatly appreciated. Dont worry, theres only a minority that expect miracles! Your GCSE's are far more important.

Paul

Yep, I think that definitely gives us a little insight into what is going on!!

;)

Tehidy Country Park

Female Greater Scaup (with 6 Tufted Duck) on main lake at Tehidy Country Park this afternoon.

Also Merlin flew west at Reskajeage Downs along North Cliffs and 100+ Sky Lark in stubble.

Cheers

Tim

Ring Ouzel

My diligent sifting of the thrush flocks in the hope of something rarer paid dividents today, albeit not quite in the manner I'd wished - i.e. no Black-throated Thrush. However, to my utter astonishment, I stumbled across a slightly scruffy-looking, but to all intent and purposes, healthy Ring Ouzel. It was at Church Cove near Poldhu.

Last edited:
Truro
Seen Redwings in garden feeding, up to about ten in holly bushes, but no fieldfares. Are they more of a flock type bird prefer to feed in safer numbers in open areas, all these local cornwall birders, do you see them feeding in gardens?. I live in rural garden at Tomperrow area even had Water rail in garden but no Fieldfares. Fred .

Last edited:
2 black throated divers off Gylingvase beach this afternoon in a big raft of shag and cormorants. 1 fulmar also

water rail and chiffchaff both showing well in the rain at Swanpool

My diligent sifting of the thrush flocks in the hope of something rarer paid dividents today, albeit not quite in the manner I'd wished - i.e. no Black-throated Thrush. However, to my utter astonishment, I stumbled across a slightly scruffy-looking, but to all intent and purposes, healthy Ring Ouzel. It was at Church Cove near Poldhu.

Nice! There may or may not be something rarer out there ... whether a birder manages to connect or not will probably come down to luck (but looking won't harm the chances I guess).

Truro
Seen Redwings in garden feeding, up to about ten in holly bushes, but no fieldfares. Are they more of a flock type bird prefer to feed in safer numbers in open areas, all these local cornwall birders, do you see them feeding in gardens?. I live in rural garden at Tomperrow area even had Water rail in garden but no Fieldfares. Fred .

Not long been down here myself, but I think there's not much difference betwen the two in whether or not they come into gardens in general terms, although there certainly seems to be more Redwing about (a lot more to be honest). I've seen the odd Fieldfare feeding in gardens in Falmouth the last few weeks.

Good luck with them.

Wigeon numbers were back up at College today, the usual stuff still around on both reservoirs, but of possible interest was an Egyptian Goose which flew in to the western end. At least as wary as the Wigeon etc present (ie quite wary). Haven't a clue on this species' status in the county ... presumably a 'wild' bird from the naturalised population in the east??

Men-An-Tol this evening 3 ringtail and 1 male(?) Hen Harriers. Anyone who was there, was the last bird a male, I failed to get on to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back