• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

Ring-Tail Hen Harrier this morning at Lelant Downs, GN Diver and Goldeneye off Long Rock Beach, 2 Bittern and 1 Stonechat at Marazion Marsh, 1 Ring-Necked Duck and 1 Goldeneye at Gwithian.

Attachments

• IMG_6428.JPG
    IMG_6428.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 85
St Austell Bay this morning; birds included 28 Black-Throated Diver, 15 Great Northern Diver, 5 Eider, 15 Great-Crested Grebe and 25 Common Scoter.
Spit Beach, 1 Black Redstart (photo)
St Andrew's Pool, 12 Goosander (photo) 50+ Siskin and 2 Marsh Tit.
St Winnow, 1 Cattle Egret still (photo)
Marsh below Restormel Castle, 1 Great Bittern (photo)
Fowey (Windmill) 2 Green Parakeet reported?

Attachments

• IMG_7810.JPG
    IMG_7810.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7737.JPG
    IMG_7737.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7715.JPG
    IMG_7715.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7619.JPG
    IMG_7619.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 68
Windmill, Fowey, 2 Rose-Ringed Parakeet (around on and off for about a week)
Are they Escappees or part of the British naturalised population expanding their range?

Attachments

• P1030810.JPG
    P1030810.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 92
From Pentewan to, and including Gerrans Bay today; birds included 72 Black-Throated Diver, 51 Great Northern Diver, 4 Red-Necked Grebe (1 Mevagissey 1 Portmellon 1 Porthluney Cove 1 Nare Head) 2 female Scaup (1 Mevagissey 1 Gerrans Bay) 1 Velvet Scoter Dodman Point, 3 Slavonian Grebe (2 Portmellon 1 Hemmick Beach) 2 Great-Crested Grebe Pentewan, 1 Common Scoter Gerrans Bay, 6+ Bottle-Nosed Dolphin from Nare Head.

Last edited:
lastcornishman - are the G C Grebe showing any courting characteristics and how close are they coming?

The reason I ask is that I have spent quite a few hours at Stithians trying to photograph the pair carrying out their courtship rituals however they do not appear to co-operate and generally stay well away from the hide.

At St Andrews Pool, Par the Red-throated Diver was showing well this afternoon, also noted were single Chiffchaff and Blackcap.

At near by Par Beach Pool 3 Shoveler, 2 Snipe and 2 Swallow were noted.

Can anyone give any more info on the Hoopoe in Launceston, I'm inthe area tommorow and it would be a lifer for me.

Please

It was reported to me as being "near the entrance to Higher Banham". Checking on the map I have taken this to be the entrance to Higher Bamham Farm south of the A388 to the east of Launceston. There has been no news since either way. Good luck if you go, let us know how you get on.
Dave Parker

It was reported to me as being "near the entrance to Higher Banham". Checking on the map I have taken this to be the entrance to Higher Bamham Farm south of the A388 to the east of Launceston. There has been no news since either way. Good luck if you go, let us know how you get on.
Dave Parker

I had a good drive around the area today but draw a blank, thanks for your help.

Had a nice day today stated at st gothian 30+ sand Martins, skylark & 3 shellducks. Headed off to marazion marsh and so glad I did. Bumped into a couple of birders from truro who were lovely and helped me identify calls of the sedge warbler and cetti's. He was just telling me how illusive the cettis was when it landed no more than 15 yards away next to the path, what a stroke of luck and the sedge also eventually showed, both firsts for me, absolutely delighted.

What a pleasure it is to visit such a wonderful county of stunning scenery and magnificent birds! Can't wait for the next one.

As part of its 80th birthday celebrations in 2011, Cornwall Bird Watching and Preservation Society is holding an art exhibition, and is now calling for artists to submit their work.

The exhibition entitled ‘Visions of Nature: an exhibition of Wildlife Art’ is an exciting opportunity to promote the work of the CBWPS.

The exhibition will be held in the Barrow Gallery at Mount Edgcumbe Country Park from
24th July until 6th August 2011.

Please see http://www.cbwps.org.uk/Exhibition.htm for more details.

Just (about 5.30 p.m.) had a text from a friend in Constantine who heard at least 3 Bee-eaters over his garden, but unfortunately he couldn't see them in the sunshine!

Just (about 5.30 p.m.) had a text from a friend in Constantine who heard at least 3 Bee-eaters over his garden, but unfortunately he couldn't see them in the sunshine!

Hi Jon,

I take it that the Constantine is the one near Helston and not the bay near Padstow.

Great find either way, I wonder if they are the same as the Scilly birds?

Does anybody know anything about the Franklin's Gull on the Helford yesterday? Dan Chaney & I popped down to look for it today, checking the whole of Gillan Creek and Men-aver Beach, albeit at high tide (when smaller gulls are often absent from the area). We did see 16 Med Gulls (nine 1st winters, two 2nd summers & five adults) at Men-aver Beach, but no Franklin's unfortunately.

Aside from that:

1 Whimbrel (Men-aver Beach)
35+ Yellow Wagtails in fields between Church Cove and Bass Point
1 Bonxie and 1 juv Arctic Skua (both S) from Bass Point

Last edited:
Hi
I'm going down to cornwall this weekend and staying very near to davidstow, is there much on the airfield (or reservoir) at the moment, particularly waders? I'll be checking it out regularly but good to get a heads up on anything especially interesting passing through. Cheers.

Laurence

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back