• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cutting down the strap (sung to the tune of 'Burning down the house') (1 Viewer)

MacGee

I've got a Nigeloh strap that's a bit long and I'd like to cut it a bit shorter, but how do I avoid the ends fraying? I'm thinking of painting the cut ends with PVA glue, but does anyone have a better idea?

Michael.

If the strap is made of synthetic material that melts when a match is put to it then do just that to the frayed ends. The frayed ends will melt into each other and the fraying will cease.
Bob

MacGee said:
I've got a Nigeloh strap that's a bit long and I'd like to cut it a bit shorter, but how do I avoid the ends fraying? I'm thinking of painting the cut ends with PVA glue, but does anyone have a better idea?

Michael.

Hi MacGee,

As Ceasar said, if the strap is synthetic fibre you should have no problems sealing the cut ends by passing a naked flame (i use a lighter, stops me fingers burning) over them - that type of material will melt & seal quite well just in close proximity to the flame (move the flame around as the ends start to melt). You can use your fingers to 'crimp' the edges whilst they're still warm. I've used this method for years on camera & binocular straps, it works. Just don't make the ends too big/thick to fit through the binocular strap holders!

You can always practice first on the pieces you cut off!

Cheers & Best Wishes,

Mook

mook said:
Hi MacGee,

As Ceasar said, if the strap is synthetic fibre you should have no problems sealing the cut ends by passing a naked flame (i use a lighter, stops me fingers burning) over them - that type of material will melt & seal quite well just in close proximity to the flame (move the flame around as the ends start to melt). You can use your fingers to 'crimp' the edges whilst they're still warm. I've used this method for years on camera & binocular straps, it works. Just don't make the ends too big/thick to fit through the binocular strap holders!

You can always practice first on the pieces you cut off!

Cheers & Best Wishes,

Mook
thats how i do it, but i pass the strap back through the buckle to leave me some spare strap for the future before cutting.

ceasar said:
If the strap is made of synthetic material that melts when a match is put to it then do just that to the frayed ends. The frayed ends will melt into each other and the fraying will cease.
Bob

Geeeze-I thought I was the only person who did this!

It's a bit like a ceremony,an initiation ritual for any new pair of binoculars ;)

Matt

Last edited:
I hold the blades of an all metal scissors in the flame of my kitchen stove until they are hot, then use them to simultaneously cut and melt the cut ends of synthetic straps.
--AP

Thanks, everyone; that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll try out the flame idea (since I don't have all-metal scissors (though that's an elegant solution, Alexis)). I'll do it in the garden so there'll be no chance of burning down the house.

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back