• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's the best all-around binoculars? (1 Viewer)

HouseFinch

Self-proclaimed Birdbrain
This is my very first post to this section of the forum, so please forgive my ignorance. :D

I know there are different opinions out there about what 'the best' is, but surely there must be binoculars which are the strongest. I'm asking because I have difficulty identifying birds through binoculars, mainly if the birds are far off. I can tell what type of birds they are(duck, heron, hawk, etc.)but not the species.

I live above a slough which leads into the Columbia River. Between my backyard and the Columbia there is an island now flooded, which used to be grassland. Since it's mostly covered with water much of the time, especially in winter, big flocks of ducks and geese inhabit it now. Here's a link to a picture of my backyard for reference; My Backyard

The little bins I have currently are great for feeder birds, but don't help much when I'm looking across the slough. I want something that can bring me even closer to the birds, so I can definitively see what they are. If perhaps I have to buy something like a spotting scope, I will, if it will help aid the frustration of not being able to give species names to those ducks! |:p|

HouseFinch said:
This is my very first post to this section of the forum, so please forgive my ignorance. :D

I know there are different opinions out there about what 'the best' is, but surely there must be binoculars which are the strongest. I'm asking because I have difficulty identifying birds through binoculars, mainly if the birds are far off. I can tell what type of birds they are(duck, heron, hawk, etc.)but not the species.

I live above a slough which leads into the Columbia River. Between my backyard and the Columbia there is an island now flooded, which used to be grassland. Since it's mostly covered with water much of the time, especially in winter, big flocks of ducks and geese inhabit it now. Here's a link to a picture of my backyard for reference; My Backyard

The little bins I have currently are great for feeder birds, but don't help much when I'm looking across the slough. I want something that can bring me even closer to the birds, so I can definitively see what they are. If perhaps I have to buy something like a spotting scope, I will, if it will help aid the frustration of not being able to give species names to those ducks! |:p|

I agree with Tero; a scope will be best for your situation. Make sure you get a sturdy tripod with it, and an ED scope provides a much nicer view.

PS I like your american birder forum; hopefully it will grow!

You definitely need a scope with a decent i.e. sturdy tripod! A 30x wide-angle eyepiece will provide most enjoyment. But depending on the distance you might want a zoom eyepiece which allows to "get even closer" by focusing up to 45x or so.

Alrighty, thanks all! I guess I'll have to go make a post in the Scopes section, and get ideas from the regulars there. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back