• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow? ID Central Ohio USA 40Nx82W (1 Viewer)

The last few days these guys have been showing up at my feeder. March 31 2007 was the first time I saw them.
I am surrounded by open grass land and light brush(about 50 acres) bordered by corn fields and woods.

Seen with field sparrows and Tree sparrows. It is similar to both but it has the light brown collar.
Thanks Kathy

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 91
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 74
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 94
Don't have my books at work, but looks like an American Tree Sparrow. Welcome to the forum, think you'll find us to be a friendly lot.

Grousemore said:
American Tree Sparrow.

And welcome to Birdforum.

Yes, welcome to Birdforum! :hi:

I agree with the American Tree Sparrow. The colour of the bill is diagnostic - dark on the top, yellow on the bottom.

Thanks, all seem to agree its a tree sparrow.
I have lots of tree sparrows without the brown across the front (just the dark spot). So is this just a variation or maybe male and female? I have had hundreds of tree sparrows (most are leaving now and the field sparrows are back) and just a few have the brown across the front.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back