• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First orchid of the season? (2 Viewers)

Kevin Wade

Spain
Took this photograph this evening of an Ophrys fusca, whilst out walking the dog!

Attachments

• Ophrys-fuscus5.jpg
    Ophrys-fuscus5.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
That's very early isn't it?

Down here in southern Portugal none of the Ophrys fusca group flower that early - earliest I've seen them is late January.

I think caution is needed on calling species within the fuscus group - I prefer to stick to the Flora iberica, which divides O.fusca into 2 species only, fusca and atlantica - the first with a few mere forms. Many many forms have been described, often endemic to small regions and showing instability and intergrades. The whole O.fusca group is fascinating however and is clearly in active speciation - A great study group for someone deep into systematics etc.

Last edited:
Hiya,
As Simon says, the O. fusca group here inland starts to bloom in mid January in the low valleys. In Sierra Nevada and high plains not efore late february-march.

This autumn is being extremely mild in Southern Spain and could influenciate their blooming. About the ID on Dull Orchid... uhmmmm! the spp. fusca has so wide variation and crosspolinization, even locally, that couldn't be posible morphologically to separate them!

Saludos!
Jorge

Yes it has been very mild - in fact it was 21ºC last Thursday evening at 6pm! I photographed this first Sawfy Orchid yesterday in the same place as the previous species.

Saludos!

Attachments

• Ophrys-tenthredinifera12.jpg
    Ophrys-tenthredinifera12.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 88
Ophrys malacitana

I took this picture this evening - there are three plants in flower today, after I noticed the first to flower about a week ago. The following reference provides an interesting description of the difference in their morphology to O. fuscus:
Lowe, M. R. (2010): Studies in Ophrys L. sectio Pseudophrys Godfery - I.
Ophrys forestieri and O. malacitana spec. nov. - J. Eur. Orch. 42(3/4): 541-

Attachments

• Omalacitana10.jpg
    Omalacitana10.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back