• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro lenses (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

Spent some time comparing Macro lenses yesterday and am confused. The Nikon 105 mm had the fastest auto focus But the Tamron 90 and the Tokina 100 both seemed sharper. I probably wont go with the Tokina because on my D5200 it's pretty much all manual functions for any portrait work and no VC, but I was really impressed with the Tamron. Wasn't able to try the older version that extends to focus. Some reviews rate that as even sharper than the current internal focus. Any one have experience with both or either?
Steve

Hi stephen,
the question is not the freshest, but i will sa something to it.
I already had the actual Tamron 90 two times, my best friend got the actual Sigma 105 Macro. But i sold these Tamrons, and got the old one which extends to focus. I have the feeling, that the newer, non-extending are just a compromise in the quality. They don`t extend, so their front lens is sometimes not in the optimal position..

I tested an older Sigma 105 and realized the image quality was better than my Tamron 90 VC USD. I tried to get one, but then an older Tamron 90 fell into my hand, it was a cheap deal around the corner, i tested it and it was the same.

On my d7100 the focussing speed it really fast. No pumping at all and fast. And let me say, no dragonfly or whatever flew away because of the Tamron is a little extending .

But at last let me tell you - we are talking about the last few percent. None of these Macros ist bad. They are all great, and none of these you will make a mistake.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back