• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USB wireless adapter for Win 10PC (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Due to moving house soon I am going to have to use a wireless connection to my Win 10 Pc for a while( until I can rout a cable from the router to the PC). Can anyone please recommend a good USB wireless adapter for awin 10 PC

Have a read here, Roy:

http://www.wirelesshack.org/best-wireless-usb-dongles-windows-10-compatible.html

I can't vouch for any of them, as I use Linux not Windows
Thanks Chris, that was one of the review sites I found when I searched earlier but I thought I would ask if anyone had first hand experience with one of these dongles.
I have built-in wifi adapter in the PC but performance is patchy and I was advised that a USB dongle would give me a better result.

Alternative idea: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K0MJ30G/ref=pe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

A) this can if used correctly improve the wifi coverage where your PC is, or B) you can also connect using a cable to the part of the set that is close to your PC. If not needing the power through, cheaper versions exist.

Niels
Thanks Niels, I have often wondered how good these powerline plugs are, do you think they would give a better result than a USB dongle?

Thanks Niels, I have often wondered how good these powerline plugs are, do you think they would give a better result than a USB dongle?

The only experience I have with a USB dongle is in my mothers house: it catches cell phone signal and not Wifi. What I can say in that connection is that the signal strength around the receiver is extremely important for how well it does. So do you know how good the wifi signal is where your PC is standing? Is it actually a problem with the built in receiver or is it the modem not being able to send a strong enough signal?

I bought the set that I linked to and it works wonders for my connectivity in areas of the house that used to fall out all the time (using my older ipad and my wife's kindle as devices).

If you have a really high speed entering line/modem, then you might consider a set with higher bandwidth than the set I bought.

Niels

PS: I live in an area with hurricanes and earthquakes, so the house is built with lot of iron in the walls. So even a smaller house gets to have significant blind spots.

The only experience I have with a USB dongle is in my mothers house: it catches cell phone signal and not Wifi. What I can say in that connection is that the signal strength around the receiver is extremely important for how well it does. So do you know how good the wifi signal is where your PC is standing? Is it actually a problem with the built in receiver or is it the modem not being able to send a strong enough signal?

I bought the set that I linked to and it works wonders for my connectivity in areas of the house that used to fall out all the time (using my older ipad and my wife's kindle as devices).

If you have a really high speed entering line/modem, then you might consider a set with higher bandwidth than the set I bought.

Niels

PS: I live in an area with hurricanes and earthquakes, so the house is built with lot of iron in the walls. So even a smaller house gets to have significant blind spots.
Thanks Niels, my PC is in the next room to the router and on the same level - WIFI signal must be OK as I watch sport on my TV by casting from a android tablet via a google chromecast dongle (I have a fast fiber connection to my broadband)
When I use my built-in wireless adapter on my PC it works OK but performance is patchy, I was told that a USB dongle would be better than the built-in adapter which is three years old.

Hi Roy
I never had much luck with a USB dongle and i was talking to a telephone engineer one day and he recomended a Wi Fi router to me it was a bit pricey a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A i got one and its been no trouble ive had it about 18 mnths i can recomend it.

Hi Roy
I never had much luck with a USB dongle and i was talking to a telephone engineer one day and he recomended a Wi Fi router to me it was a bit pricey a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A i got one and its been no trouble ive had it about 18 mnths i can recomend it.
Thanks for that 'stanacko' I am moving into a new house and hoping to be able to run a network cable direct from the router (as I am at the moment) in time so looking for something to tidy me over for a month or two until I can get around to it.

As an update:I have now bought and used some Powerline adapters (BT 1000 flex pass through) and have to say they are way better than I expected. My fibre is capped at 56 Mb speed and I am some 500 metres from the street cabinet - using an Ethernet cable from router to pc I was getting around 48 Mb. Now using the powerline adapters and I am getting around 52 Mb (faster than with the Ethernet cable which is bizare!!!!!!).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back