• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax of celestron (1 Viewer)

Pentax or celestron

Hello everyone! After a lot of reading on the forum I still can't chose between the celestron regal 100Ed and the Pentax pf 80ED. I also thought about the Pentax PR 80ED but I didn't saw a lot of reports pn this scope. This would be my first scope, for birding and digiscoping, I was first looking for a 500€ scope but after some time on this forum I understood that I needed more budget to have a decent scope. So If you have any advice or recommendations I would be pleased!
Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
I have neither so cant really advise specifically, however the celestron 100 is going resolve better due to larger objective - its a HEAVY scope though...

Does either scope come with eyepieces? if not, have you factored this into your equation?

the Pentax ED will match wonderfully with either the XW or XF fixed FL eyepieces. The XW's are pricey though - around $350 for each piece.. the XF's are much cheaper and very good as well..

I'd imagine Celestron will work well with most astro eyepieces...

Have you considered any other brands in the same price range i.e. Vortex, Hawke?

I know you're looking for answers and I've raised more questions so that probably doesnt help. Are you able to provide a bit more info on what you intend to use the scope for? will you be travelling with it etc?

more questions..... :)

cheers
Jeelan

Hi, thank you for your answer! The weight is not a problem for me, it's more a matter of quality! I think both of the scope comes with an eyepiece and I intend to buy a good one later, my student job don't allow me to buy it now with the scope. I thought about hawk but I came to the conclusion that the pentax and the celestron were better in therms of quality after reading a lot about these scopes. Maybe I'm wrong. I looked for a vortex too but it's very expensive here in france and I can't import it from the us because amazon doesn't allow it. About the use of the scope, I intend to do a lot of digiscoping of the swift around my house and all the birds in the countryside. Travelling with it won't be a problem. It's all about the quality of the scope. I hope I didn't do too much english mistakes.
Thank you very much for your answer and the time you spend on it, it's very nice of you!

hey mate

If you're looking at a scope for digiscoping, I'd recommend going for the Celestron Regal ED 100 - bigger objective is always preferred for digiscoping...

Celestron also have a number of camera attachment options for digiscoping - not sure what accessories Pentax offers in this respect...

cheers
Jeelan

Hello everyone! After a lot of reading on the forum I still can't chose between the celestron regal 100Ed and the Pentax pf 80ED. I also thought about the Pentax PR 80ED but I didn't saw a lot of reports pn this scope. This would be my first scope, for birding and digiscoping, I was first looking for a 500€ scope but after some time on this forum I understood that I needed more budget to have a decent scope. So If you have any advice or recommendations I would be pleased!
Thank you all in advance!

I have had the Celestron Regal ED 65 & 80 scopes and found them great value for money. I used the Celestron zoom, which the scope came with, to start with and then found I preferred the wide 68 degree Baader Hyperion eyepieces. These retail at about £95.00 in the UK and on the 80mm scope I had the 17mm (28x magnification) and the 13mm ( 37x magnification ) and very rarely went back to the zoom. I now use a Pentax 65Ed straight scope because of a neck proble, but would have bought a Celestron 80mm straight scope if they made one.

Thank you everyone for your answers, I'm convinced by your advices and I think I'm gonna buy a regal 100ED with a good eyepiece. Thank you again!

Thank you again, will it be better if I buy a pentax 20XW instead of the baader? I heard the pentax are better but I'm not shure. Thank you for all the sites I didn't knew any of them and they're great.

I was looking lately for a eyepiece for my celestron 65. And I finally bought pentax xw14 and I am very happy.
I have tried Hyperion 13 - brightness, resolution, very similar to celestron zoom, In my opinion you will get only wider angle
Baader Morpheus 12,5 - better, but still worse then pentax
Explore scientific - very nice, bright, good contrast, very wide, but CA is strong

Only problem with Pentax, is that it is little bit tricky to look through it. It takes few minutes to learn.

Thank you again, will it be better if I buy a pentax 20XW instead of the baader? I heard the pentax are better but I'm not shure. Thank you for all the sites I didn't knew any of them and they're great.

I have the Pentax 14XW, Morpheus 12mm and Badder 13mm on my Pentax 65ED and can't see a great difference between all three. Brightness and sharpness seem pretty equal with the Morpheus being wider at 76 degrees. I do use the 14mm Pentax most of the time, but the 13mm Baader is more user friendly as regards the eye placement. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, but the Baader Hyperion is great value at 1/3 the price of the Pentax.
Just my 2p worth.

Les.

Hello, no I'm still trying to collect the money but I think I will go for the celestron 100Ed! I had to postponed my purchase because of some imperatives but I think I will be able to buy it soon! I will post a little review here of my opinion about the scope if you want? Je peux le faire en français si tu préfères aussi

In fact, I was intersted in informations about the Pentax PR-80eda !
It is very difficult to find informations about it !

But finally, I have just commanded a Meopta S2 !...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back