• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decided on a Kowa 663M - Eyepiece and Tripod Advice Requsted (1 Viewer)

HeadWest

After a deal of research and budgeting, I think I have settled on a Kowa TSN 663M as my first spotting scope. In reading reviews on Birdforum I started fancying the 773 or 883, but in the end the extra $600 (when you factor in eyepiece) in going from the 663 to the 773 was a bit too much.

I'm hoping to get some advice or suggestions on whether to go with the 30x W fixed eyepiece, or the 20-60x zoom. I think I will mostly be using the scope for sea viewing and other wetland viewing. Of course, I'll also be taking it out for land-based trips as well. As this is my first scope, I really have almost no experience with these zoom levels, so am not sure what I should be going for. The wide angle sounds nice, but I fear I might miss that extra zoom on the water.

Additionally, any tripod suggestions are appreciated. I saw this kit on the classifieds: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=341439

Anyone know if that would be a good base for a scope like this? That is about as much as I'd like to spend, and wouldn't mind spending less. I really appreciate any of your thoughts!

Conor

Last edited:
The Kowa 20-60x zoom for the 663 has a bit narrow FOV/AFOV and the view is more old-school tube-like. The 30x is nicer, better FOV/AFOV and ER but the exit pupil might not be enough in low light. And you might want to have both. Personally I would start with the 30x due to the larger FOV and better eye relief.

What you get if you step up to the Kowa773, is that the latest 25-60x zoom is so good that you really don't need any fixed EP any more.

Did you consider the Swarovski ATS65 + 25-50x WA? Something in between in price and performance.

But if you intend to use 50-60x mag a lot also in dimmer light, I would get a larger scope. That said, a 65-66mm scope would work fine in most cases, and work well at 30-40x mag. But it all depends on you birding style, level of knowledge etc.

Last edited:
The Kowa 20-60x zoom for the 663 has a bit narrow FOV/AFOV and the view is more old-school tube-like. The 30x is nicer, better FOV/AFOV and ER but the exit pupil might not be enough in low light. And you might want to have both. Personally I would start with the 30x due to the larger FOV and better eye relief.

What you get if you step up to the Kowa773, is that the latest 25-60x zoom is so good that you really don't need any fixed EP any more.

Did you consider the Swarovski ATS65 + 25-50x WA? Something in between in price and performance.

But if you intend to use 50-60x mag a lot also in dimmer light, I would get a larger scope. That said, a 65-66mm scope would work fine in most cases, and work well at 30-40x mag. But it all depends on you birding style, level of knowledge etc.

Thanks for that advice. This is very helpful for me trying to get a sense of how this setup would perform for my uses. And why is it every time I think I have settled on a scope I can afford, someone on Birdforum comes along and makes me reconsider a more expensive one!|:d|

I did look at the Swarovski Swarovski ATS65 + 25-50x WA, but as far as I can tell, that setup costs $2420, which is about $400 more expensive than the Kowa 773.

Thanks for that advice. This is very helpful for me trying to get a sense of how this setup would perform for my uses. And why is it every time I think I have settled on a scope I can afford, someone on Birdforum comes along and makes me reconsider a more expensive one!|:d|

I did look at the Swarovski Swarovski ATS65 + 25-50x WA, but as far as I can tell, that setup costs $2420, which is about $400 more expensive than the Kowa 773.

Ok, sorry to confuse, prices seem to be quite different around here (Europe). Here the Swaro ATS-65 is not that much more expensive than Kowa 663M and the Kowa 773 + 25-60x is the far most expensive one. So at European prices the ATS65 is definitely a best buy IMO.
(Swaro are generally cheaper here, and Kowa more expensive)

At US prices the Kowa 663M definitely looks like best value for money in your case.

US prices at Eagle Optics:
Kowa 773 + 25-60x ($2050+$665 = $2715)
ATS65 + 25-50x ($1689+$729 = $2418)
Kowa 663M + 30x EP ($1090 + $295 = $1315)

Last edited:
I'd go for the 30x eyepiece on the Kowa 663. It's the eyepiece I use the majority of the time on mine. And as you're in California I'd imagine that heathaze will be an issue, which will render higher magnifications much less usable. In those circumstances x30 is about as much as is really usable. It's also a great eyepiece for sea-watching with a nice wide field of view. You can always supplement it with the zoom at a later date (or the excellent 45x fixed eyepiece, though they're a pretty rare beast)!

i use the Baader Zoom MKIII with my Kowa 823..I had to do a bit of modification,partly because the zoom had limited back focus,and the provided adapters,although fitting the external threaded collar on the kowa,didnt allow for infinity focus..BUT the new baader zoom MK IV has been improved specially for use in spotters ,with a few extra mm of back focus,so i am sure it would be easier to find an adapter to fit to some scopes that dont use specific astro mount..I suspect that it will work with the 663,because has a narrower threaded collar than the 823..This is just a suggestion,and i would only reccomend to explore the option to someone with some understanding or experience with optics (to get to my level of understanding and experience would be quite easy,dont worry!)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back