• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird list Camargue - France (1 Viewer)

Hello guys,
have you ever been in French National Park Camargue? Do you have bird list which species is possible to find there? Or your own bird list containing birds you saw there? We are going there in May and we are really looking forward to it. It would help us a lot. I found some bird lists but it gaves "only" 180 species :) and I heard that there are around 400 species. And we are curious about it...

Could someone help me? ;)

Thanx!

Hi Miiskaa,

As this is your first post on BF, let me start by saying 'welcome to the Forum!'

Now, I have spent a few days on the Camargue, about 4 years ago I think, but I don't have a list just for there. My list would be very poor anyway, since the one day we went down to les Salins (the salt pans), le Mistral was really kicking up, and so it was hard to stand up straight, never mind look at birds! Of course, that didn't stop us from seeing a lot of flamingoes, and shorebirds were certainly plentiful - I particularly remember the stilts. A Pallid Swift was a nice find, though.

Had much better luck at the "barrens" of le Crau, just east of Saint-Matin-de-Crau. This is totally different kind of place, but home to all kinds of birds we didn't see anywhere else in France, like European Roller, Southern (Iberian) Grey Shrike, Tawny Pipit, and Hoopoe. We totally "dipped" on the Lesser Kestrel and the Little Bustard, but we are assured they are there. Birds are shy, though, so a scope would have been really useful; missed several species that were in plain view, but just a bit too far away for us to ID.

Perhaps in May, birds will be singing and/or displaying, and you will have better luck (we went in August).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and welcome! :)

Yes, the timing is perfect and we presume that birds will be very active. But we also have to be lucky!
As you mentioned le Crau, we are going to visit this area too. It looks interesting and kinds you mentioned are remarkable! Hope, our trip will be successful and full of interesting (bird)watching. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back