• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland insect & arrachnid ID (1 Viewer)

No photo of the next one, but hoping for some pointers. At the weekend, I was at Haltwhistle outdoor swimming pool with my family, and an enormous "bumble bee" of some kind landed on an inflatable in the pool. It was around 50% bigger than any other bee I've seen, leading me to think that it wasn't actually a bee! It was mostly black, hairy, with some orange on the thorax, and a very large, distinct abdomen (i.e. with a visible "waist") that was more pointed than in bumble bees, and tipped white.

Cannot find anything like this at all in my guide. The shape and size suggest to me it wasn't actually a bumble bee, so any pointers as to what it could have been would be very welcome!

Thanks Andy.... interesting site. If only I had more time! It takes me an hour to identify one species, so catching multiple species would mean I never actually do any work! It doesn't seem that this species is all that common locally (compared to my usual observations), and it's not in my guide, so I feel slightly better that I couldn't ID it!

Another confusing species (well, for me, anyway). I thought this would be some kind of mosquito when I saw it, but the large "beak" and opaque wings are confusing me.... any thoughts? (It was quite big, possibly 10-15mm, as can be seen by comparison with the oxeye daisy it's settled on).

Attachments

• unknown_fly.jpg
    unknown_fly.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 122
Another confusing species (well, for me, anyway). I thought this would be some kind of mosquito when I saw it, but the large "beak" and opaque wings are confusing me.... any thoughts? (It was quite big, possibly 10-15mm, as can be seen by comparison with the oxeye daisy it's settled on).

Looks like one of the Robber Flies.
Andy

I'll possibly post this in the moth ID forum, but thought I would start here...

Is it possible to identify the species of this caterpillar munching its way through my apple tree?! It seems to be quite like a peppered moth, Biston petularia, but there seem to be a number of similar larvae

Attachments

• unknown_caterpillar1.jpg
    unknown_caterpillar1.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 63
  • unknown_caterpillar2.jpg
    unknown_caterpillar2.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 54
Next up! A hover fly from the coast this weekend.

I think this is Syrphus ribesii, as the wing venation seems to match, but I am not sure if the number of abdominal stripes is important, as my guide (and photos on-line) seem to show one fewer yellow stripe!

And, out of interest, can anyone give me a pointer on the tiny black fly? These seem a pretty common species - I see them (or something similar) a lot on my courgette flowers and sunflowers - but have no idea what family of insect they are, never mind what species.

Attachments

• syrphus_ribesii_possibly.jpg
    syrphus_ribesii_possibly.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
No photo of the next one, but hoping for some pointers. At the weekend, I was at Haltwhistle outdoor swimming pool with my family, and an enormous "bumble bee" of some kind landed on an inflatable in the pool. It was around 50% bigger than any other bee I've seen, leading me to think that it wasn't actually a bee! It was mostly black, hairy, with some orange on the thorax, and a very large, distinct abdomen (i.e. with a visible "waist") that was more pointed than in bumble bees, and tipped white.

Cannot find anything like this at all in my guide. The shape and size suggest to me it wasn't actually a bumble bee, so any pointers as to what it could have been would be very welcome!

Tree Bumblebee??

Is it possible to identify this crane fly, from the garden, yesterday?

From the wing markings, and the fact the wings are folded down, it looks most like Tipula confusa but I think there are probably other similar species. Thanks!

Attachments

• unknown_crane_fly2.jpg
    unknown_crane_fly2.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 63
Anyone any ideas on the above crane fly?

And a new puzzle - this time a bumble bee species. Is this just a particularly pale Carder Bumblebee (Bombus pascuorum) or something else, a cuckoo bee, maybe?

Attachments

• unknown_bee.jpg
    unknown_bee.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 62
  • unknown_bee2.jpg
    unknown_bee2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 72
OK, next up, a gall. Is it possible to identify the perpetrator? There were several of these, about 10-12mm across, containing a tiny (2-3mm) cream-coloured larva

Attachments

• gall.jpg
    gall.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back