• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Revised 2017 Terra Models? (1 Viewer)

BruceH

Peatmoss has an interesting post in the Binocular Bargains thread that caught my interest. He was discussing that the lower price of the current Terra models may be a result of an upcoming revision. He referenced entries on the B & H Photo web site for the Terra 2017 Version.

Here is the original post by Peatmoss .....

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3506644&postcount=2932

Here are B & H Photo web pages referencing a new 2017 Terra ......

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1303877-REG/zeiss_524204_9901_10x42_terra_ed_binocular.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1303867-REG/zeiss_524203_9901_8x42_terra_ed_binocular.html

There are also pages for gray versions and 32mm versions.

Does anyone have any information about the 2017 Terra?

Sounds like new chassis, same optics - so a bit meh. If they could up-size the terrific optics from the 8x25 Terra into the 42's, they would have a class-leading lower-tier binocular, with qualities more in line with the $500.00 + USD offerings.

Looking at the 8x32 there are slight differences in the angle of view and close focus between the 'old' version and the 2017 one.

Bearing in mind the 25mm pockets were a surprise move to Japanese production, I wonder if the 32s and 42s have been moved to Japan with revised optics.

Lee

The industry centered Shot Show, held in Las Vegas, starts January 17, 2017. That would be a likely place for Zeiss to announce any changes to the Terra.

I would not pay to much attention to any detail specs on the B & H web site at this time for the 2017 version. Sometimes they put stuff out there to act like a place holder and then refine the info after the official announcement.

There have been posts on here that said it takes some really big bucks to develop a new case mold. If so, then I wonder what drives a change to the case and leave the optics the same. That makes me wonder if there will be more than just a case change. I have a couple of 42mm Terras (8X & 10X) and I like the feel and handling ergonomics. The eye placement for me is very easy which makes it a comfortable binocular to use.

A couple of changes I would like to see are about 1/4 more turn in the focus travel to slow it down just a bit and a change in the color balance from slightly warm to neutral which may increase perceived brightness. Overall I have been pleased with the current Terra so I am looking forward to see what the possibility of a new one may offer.

The industry centered Shot Show, held in Las Vegas, starts January 17, 2017. That would be a likely place for Zeiss to announce any changes to the Terra.

I would not pay to much attention to any detail specs on the B & H web site at this time for the 2017 version. Sometimes they put stuff out there to act like a place holder and then refine the info after the official announcement.

There have been posts on here that said it takes some really big bucks to develop a new case mold. If so, then I wonder what drives a change to the case and leave the optics the same. That makes me wonder if there will be more than just a case change. I have a couple of 42mm Terras (8X & 10X) and I like the feel and handling ergonomics. The eye placement for me is very easy which makes it a comfortable binocular to use.

A couple of changes I would like to see are about 1/4 more turn in the focus travel to slow it down just a bit and a change in the color balance from slightly warm to neutral which may increase perceived brightness. Overall I have been pleased with the current Terra so I am looking forward to see what the possibility of a new one may offer.

Thanks Bruce and if there is no announcement at SHOT then it could be at IWA which starts in Germany on 3rd March.

Lee

If I remember correctly, Peter Gamby in the 8x25 Terra thread speculated that the compact Terra's were basically the same Kamakura models that Opticron sells under their DBA Oasis compact line, but with updated dielectric coatings. If this is correct, then that would indicate that Zeiss doesn't mind using an "off-the-shelf" chassis if it serves their purposes. Over the past couple of years, we've seen that Kamakura has been quite busy designing new mid-range models, which have appeared on the product lists of newcomers like Tract and Maven. I would not be surprised if this were simply a case of Kamakura having a new chassis available, and Zeiss seizing the opportunity to use it to refresh the Terra line... although Zeiss claims that the optics are the same. Only time will tell if it's MIJ, but unless the price point goes up a bit, I wouldn't expect it.

Personally, I like the ergonomics of my 8x32 Terra. If I were to make any changes to that model, I'd only make the eyecups softer and with more distinct detents as you screw them up and down. I've never handled any of the 42's, but they look a bit bulky to me. Maybe a shorter bridge like the 32's would be interesting? In any event I hope they keep the blue armor version. There aren't enough blue binoculars out there.

you know there is nothing new emerging in the optics field when most of the NEW stuff is just a different color....and not in the view, but in the armoring.....

you know there is nothing new emerging in the optics field when most of the NEW stuff is just a different color....and not in the view, but in the armoring.....

Is this what you mean?

Lee

Attachments

• eek.jpg
    eek.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 87
Looks like FOV in all is unchanged, so likely just the new body. Apart from the 8x25, which is good value, the rest of the line-up is getting pretty pricey for such a competitive segment. That said, Zeiss can probably sell more with the sleek new body, as most people know squat about optics but know what looks good, and the re-skin definitely looks upmarket.

Last edited:
Looks like FOV in all is unchanged, so likely just the new body.

Far too early to say, I think, until someone has actually seen and tried them, ideally in direct comparison to an "old" Terra. It will also be interesting to see where they are made.

BTW, the pdf quotes a dioptre adjustment range of +/- 3 diopters, the "old" Terras had +/- 4 diopters. Just a mistake or some change in the optics?

Hermann

Far too early to say, I think, until someone has actually seen and tried them, ideally in direct comparison to an "old" Terra. It will also be interesting to see where they are made.

BTW, the pdf quotes a dioptre adjustment range of +/- 3 diopters, the "old" Terras had +/- 4 diopters. Just a mistake or some change in the optics?

Hermann

I agree, although I think I read a blurb from Zeiss that said the optics were unchanged.

Betting they will have them at SHOT which starts tomorrow (Range Day tomorrow). Of course you can't give them a good wringing out on the display floor...

I ran across this today. Don't know if it has been mentioned before.

Sorry not able to post the pic.

Shows they will be available in black, grey, brown, and green.

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back