• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodcock on a Nottingham City street (1 Viewer)

A surprisingly frequent event - Woodcock have a reputation of turning up exhausted on city streets. I'd suspect they get confused by street lighting when migrating.

Yep, a common winter visitor in Britain (well, formerly common, getting distinctly scarce now, due to a population crash caused by overhunting and habitat loss).

Edit: UK residents please sign: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/167410

So will this be a Russian or Scandinavian bird or one that has just moved within the UK, I guess there's no way to know?

No lack of habitat where we are in Russia, still vast expanses of suitable breeding habitat, we get them over our home in the summer.

A

Another one in similar circumstances last week on Great Tower St., WC 2 London judging by a letter in today's Times newspaper.
Mick

So will this be a Russian or Scandinavian bird or one that has just moved within the UK, I guess there's no way to know?
Most likely Russian or Scandinavian, yes; UK breeders are ± resident so less liable to end up in strange places

No lack of habitat where we are in Russia, still vast expanses of suitable breeding habitat, we get them over our home in the summer.

But gets too cold for them in winter - and forced into insufficient habitat in Britain, which makes them more vulnerable to shooting.

Seen one flying past me last autumn here, in an area with gardens and parks, but still in the city. Might've been downed by the heavy rain that occurred shortly before - or maybe it'd dived into cover to escape from one of the local peregrines, I don't know. Was quite a surprise, though.

Seen one flying past me last autumn here, in an area with gardens and parks, but still in the city. Might've been downed by the heavy rain that occurred shortly before - or maybe it'd dived into cover to escape from one of the local peregrines, I don't know. Was quite a surprise, though.

I'd think more likely arrived during a previous night (any number of days earlier), and then flushed from its roost site by someone's dog just before you saw it

It's not unusual to find exhausted Woodcock in an urban setting as the photo of one found in my neighbour's garden in the centre of Canterbury shows. What's not widely recognised is that the species appears to have colonised Britain in the 1800s having previously only been a passage/winter visitor (although I'd imagine it may have bred in the moredistant past)

Attachments

• Woodcock.jpg
    Woodcock.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 174
Urban woodcocks in winter are not necessarily there by chance - I've seen a couple on urban brownfield sites which were anything but exhausted. A few years ago I opened a gate on a small abandoned industrial yard in Newcastle and disturbed a woodcock which had clearly been resting there in daytime; last year on an old dock site by the Clyde in Glasgow I was surprised to see an overflying woodcock in daytime, presumably disturbed from a site elsewhere on the river. A lot of these sites are closed off to the public and there is consequently very little human disturbance, but don't have a lot of tree cover which you'd normally associate with woodcock habitat.
The other strange thing about woodcock was the number I noticed at the edge of rural roads in the severe winters of 2010-11, mostly at night - I wondered at the time if this was a consequence of water shortage, coming to puddles formed by the action of de-icing salt, or whether it was the high salt content itself which was attracting them.

Urban woodcocks in winter are not necessarily there by chance - I've seen a couple on urban brownfield sites which were anything but exhausted. A few years ago I opened a gate on a small abandoned industrial yard in Newcastle and disturbed a woodcock which had clearly been resting there in daytime; last year on an old dock site by the Clyde in Glasgow I was surprised to see an overflying woodcock in daytime, presumably disturbed from a site elsewhere on the river. A lot of these sites are closed off to the public and there is consequently very little human disturbance, but don't have a lot of tree cover which you'd normally associate with woodcock habitat.
The other strange thing about woodcock was the number I noticed at the edge of rural roads in the severe winters of 2010-11, mostly at night - I wondered at the time if this was a consequence of water shortage, coming to puddles formed by the action of de-icing salt, or whether it was the high salt content itself which was attracting them.

It may be that roadside soil has been kept soft by salt from treated roads splashing over it and thus making feeding easier?

A

I disturbed one from the car park's four-wide band of trees (Manchester Airport) that separates it from the road last month - though small the habitat is suitable and fenced - so no walkers/dogs/cats - just cars passing close by.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back