• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird/Merle in bicycle basket (1 Viewer)

Hi!

I registered on this forum just to see if I could find any solutions to a "problem" that has occured. Yesterday we discovered that a nest with 5 blackbird eggs has appeared in a bicycle basket in our shed. I live in Sweden, so it's still pretty cold here (around 10-16 degress Celsius during the day). The bicycle basket we found the eggs in is luckily enough on a bike we are not using, but it's still directly beside our other bicycles, to we have to interfere with the calm around the nest daily. I'm worrying quite a bit about the eggs, we have just seen a parent at the nest two times, and it has flwen away when we got too close. I have also checked at the nest a few times today, but there has been no bird flying away, in other words, I haven't seen a parent there in 10 hours. I might be too worrying, but I'm really afraid the eggs will get cold and the small lives die :(. There is also a couple of cats known to walk around in our garden now and then.

I know there is a chance the parents will abandon the nest because we are bothering them too much, but I really hope that's not gonna happen.

Is there anything I should/can do for the nest and the eggs?

I attached two photos of the nest. Sadly I don't have a cam to install over the nest :S
Thank you for all kinds of thoughts and tips!

Attachments

• koltrastbo.jpg
    koltrastbo.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 37
  • koltrastbo_i_cykelkorg.jpg
    koltrastbo_i_cykelkorg.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 28
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back