• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martins, Swifts & Swallows doing well where you live (1 Viewer)

The Raptor

Bristol City's No.1 Fan!
Are House Martins, Swifts & Swallows doing well where you live. I find here in Bristol that all three species are thriving. At a couple of local place's where I go there is an abundance of House Martins with plenty of young. Do you think the hot dry weather has anything to do with it, or do you believe there is no difference to any other years.

Have added a couple of photos of HM's. Rod.

Attachments

• House Martin 0219_edited.JPG
    House Martin 0219_edited.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 126
  • House Martin 0237_edited.JPG
    House Martin 0237_edited.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 119
Martins and Swifts in abundance over my fields. Can't say the same for Swallows though. I'm sure I remember there being more last year. Hopefully their numbers will be up by the end of the Summer.

Chris

Swallows and house martins seem to be doing well. Swifts are around but they don't seem to be in the numbers they used to be. But maybe I'm not as observant as I once was.

We've only got a couple pairs of swallows and house martins about but the swifts are doing great.
There are the usual yearly 3 nests from the one in my eaves to the two my neighbour has and at first I was able to enjoy the 3 pairs red arrows impressions each evening, like every year, but in the last week the 6 have become around 20. Dont know if the others are nesting nearby I assume they must be, but of a morning and evening they're wizzing around for hours. its brilliant.
The only attraction I can think is that at the back of our houses there are playing fields and presumably the hot weather is combining with this to create an excellent food source. Once the youngsters have fledged they may stick around a couple of days as a group, so I can get into double figures, but this year if the young from our 3 nests join up I could get an excellent display albeit for a short time. I wonder if anyone can throw any light on where these extras have come from?
Last year they were gone by the 5th August so i dont expect any better this year and I'm going to enjoy them while I can. Its a long wait till next year.

Bill@dwp said:
We've only got a couple pairs of swallows and house martins about but the swifts are doing great.
There are the usual yearly 3 nests from the one in my eaves to the two my neighbour has and at first I was able to enjoy the 3 pairs red arrows impressions each evening, like every year, but in the last week the 6 have become around 20. Dont know if the others are nesting nearby I assume they must be, but of a morning and evening they're wizzing around for hours. its brilliant.
The only attraction I can think is that at the back of our houses there are playing fields and presumably the hot weather is combining with this to create an excellent food source. Once the youngsters have fledged they may stick around a couple of days as a group, so I can get into double figures, but this year if the young from our 3 nests join up I could get an excellent display albeit for a short time. I wonder if anyone can throw any light on where these extras have come from?
Last year they were gone by the 5th August so i dont expect any better this year and I'm going to enjoy them while I can. Its a long wait till next year.

I agree with you Bill, it is brilliant watching the Swifts wizzing around & at time's giving out that screaming noise of their's, wonderful, one of my favourite birds. As I write this I can hear them flying high.

Rod.

Always have tons of Delichon, also a lot of Apus apus. Unfortunately, here in Italy, the Barn Swallow, once so numerous, is increasingly scarse.

Osprey_watcher said:
Swallows and house martins seem to be doing well. Swifts are around but they don't seem to be in the numbers they used to be. But maybe I'm not as observant as I once was.

Ditto this posting - but I'm only a few miles away from Eddy so it's not surprising.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back