• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro adapter - DCB or DCA? (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
So what is the benefits of the DCB and DCA adapter? The DCB looks easier to use and more handy when you bird. Does the DCA have any hidden advantage? And should I consider the UCA? ATS65HD scope btw.

So what is the benefits of the DCB and DCA adapter? The DCB looks easier to use and more handy when you bird. Does the DCA have any hidden advantage? And should I consider the UCA? ATS65HD scope btw.

I only have the DCA which works well for me with a compact camera (with the 20-60 zoom). I've never tried either of the others but did consider the DCB once, but was put off by the cost. The DCA is nice and compact and fits easily into a coat pocket. Since I've had it I've never had the urge to get another adapter. Don't be put off by the recommendations to only use it with cameras that can take a bayonet-type tube adapter attached round the base of the camera's lens (like the Nikon P5100). It can be attached to the scope and ready to use in about 5 seconds if set up with the camera in advance.

The UCA is also pretty expensive but looks good for use with a wider range of cameras including a DSLR. Perhaps the DCB would also take a DSLR but would be very heavy and cumbersome with all that weight swinging up and over!

Steve

Thanks Steve! So the DCA is a good option then. I saw an instruction movie on eagle optics for the DCA. Can I unscrew my eyecup on my 20-60x zoom so I can fit the DCA ring? I have never tried to do that. The DCB seems to be a little harder to bring along, due to size so big benefit of the DCA. While I have you on the line, can you recommend me some new camera that will fit with my config? I have problems finding a F30/F31.

Thanks Steve! So the DCA is a good option then. I saw an instruction movie on eagle optics for the DCA. Can I unscrew my eyecup on my 20-60x zoom so I can fit the DCA ring? I have never tried to do that. The DCB seems to be a little harder to bring along, due to size so big benefit of the DCA. While I have you on the line, can you recommend me some new camera that will fit with my config? I have problems finding a F30/F31.

Kristoffer, Yes, you just unscrew the eyecup to allow the inner tube to fit over the zoom eyepiece. I believe it works equally well with the new 25-50 zoom too.

As to new cameras, I'm really not sure about what works best at the moment. As you know I'm still using a Fuji F31fd which I'm happy with, though its 6.3mp won't allow heavy cropping without some loss of quality. I'm not sure about what I would get if mine broke though.

You are probably aware of the Panasonic G1 thread here on BF? It's expensive but seems capable of excellent results.

The Nikon P5100 seems popular but seems to be obsolete now?

Some people like the Sony digicams though I have no personal experience of them. I think there have been some winners in the Swaro Digiscoper of the Year competition using Sony, so they must be very capable cameras.

Cheers,

Steve

Ok,
thanks. Looks like a nice combo, albeit a bit expensive for me. I think Il go for the Nikon P6000 and the dca or dcb.

Didn't try that...looks cumbersome but did purchase the DCB from Swaro...good results and like all things, it takes a bit of practice in the field to get things right, ....little things as the hat bill getting in the way, or forgetting to bring along the alum wrench in case it does get bumped etc....but practice makes perfect
Below are two photos I took today using the DCB....I really like the swing away aspect of the DCB (swaro brand)....this adapter swings up bringing the camera away from the eyepiece, allowing me to focus using solely eyepiece and when I have a shot, swing down the adapter with camera attached.....

Attachments

• Great Horned Owl 2 Rooks Cliff Digi March 10.jpg
    Great Horned Owl 2 Rooks Cliff Digi March 10.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Hooded Merganser Rooks Digi March 10.jpg
    Hooded Merganser Rooks Digi March 10.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back