• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 2X APO Teleconverter (1 Viewer)

I just purchased this teleconverter to go with my Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 APO Lens and just wanted to leave some opinion for anyone else that might be considering. I'm satisfied with the 50-500 lens although I expected sharper images. I have seen images from the same camera and lens that look much sharper than I have been able to achieve.

As far as the converter, I was aware that I would lose 2 full stops but I was expecting that to apply to the 4-6.3 range however it applies to the 6.3. The aperture is F11 regardless of your zoom. I can go with larger F Numbers (ie. 12 13,etc.). I found that anything other than very bright direct sunlight leaves you with no choice but to increase the ISO, usually to 400 or higher.

Im sure the converter would be more suitable for a faster lens but if you plan on using it with the 50-500, plan on shooting brightly lit subjects only.

Just thought I would pass this on. Hope it helps someone.

I purchased the Sigma 100-300 f/4 + 2x converter last month and it works great . With the converter it becomes a 200-600 f/8 manual focus only but not a problem. At 600mm with the converter attached it is a little softer but you would never know once you add some sharpening in photoshop. You must have it on a solid mount or good beanbag to avoid shake.

The only thing with this converter it's the EX version it will not work with my Canon lenses due to the protruding front ellement so beware.

Terry

The Canon TCons have protruding front elements too and both brands can only be used with certain lenses. The Canon and SIgma are interchangeable in that regard. You can use a cheap Kenko or Tamron TCon, 1.4 or 2.0x, on many more lenses as the design is different. The non Pro and SP versions of both brands allow AF over f5.6 due to the reduced number of pins. I'll be getting a 1.4x Kenko Pro 300 DG and a cheaper Tamron 2.0x for use with my 300mm f4 IS L. The prime can carry a TCon easier than a zoom due to generally superior optics.

Widowmaker said:
I just purchased this teleconverter to go with my Sigma 50-500 F4-6.3 APO Lens and just wanted to leave some opinion for anyone else that might be considering. I'm satisfied with the 50-500 lens although I expected sharper images. I have seen images from the same camera and lens that look much sharper than I have been able to achieve.

As far as the converter, I was aware that I would lose 2 full stops but I was expecting that to apply to the 4-6.3 range however it applies to the 6.3. The aperture is F11 regardless of your zoom. I can go with larger F Numbers (ie. 12 13,etc.). I found that anything other than very bright direct sunlight leaves you with no choice but to increase the ISO, usually to 400 or higher.

Im sure the converter would be more suitable for a faster lens but if you plan on using it with the 50-500, plan on shooting brightly lit subjects only.

Just thought I would pass this on. Hope it helps someone.
Also noted ... I picked up the same TC a while ago and only recently started using it with the 50-500. When the light conditions are right, the combination does produce some excellent results.
cheers,
jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back