• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another bird fair account (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Originally posted on Penny's bird fair thread but moved to this new thread following her request to do so- sorry for gatecrashing Penny. So apologies also to those who will have already read this account.

Hi all,

I also had a great time at the bird fair! I was there all weekend as some of you know helping out my friend on the Asian Adventures/Wild About India stand in Marquee 1. Highlights were:

Arrived Thursday afternoon, set up the stand and went for some food and drank interesting peruvian cocktails at the Swarovski optics reception. Met so many old friends from the RSPB too.

Friday: up at ungodly o'clock, out by 8.00, manning the stand with occasional sortees out to view some of the slideshows, including one on Trinidad and tobago and Jo and Peter Lobo's talk on Kaziranga of course (handing out leaflets at the end). Regailing passers-by with stories of India in the hope of tempting them to book a trip. Trying out new bins, chatting to the artists in the art marquee.

Then Friday evening we watched the football and then went for a few drinks at the evening BBQ and dance. More interesting cocktails and nice Guyanan-inspired food. had a nice chat with Rob Banbury ex RSPB who I hadn't seen in donkey's years!

Some time in the early hours of Saturday was awoken by Jo sleepwalking. then up at 5.30 to the sound of raucous indians all vying for a spot in the single bathroom.

Saturday daytime much the same as Friday with slideshows inclding Jo and Peter's Eaglenest trip; the RSPB Sumatra update talk (or was that Sunday??) which left me feeling incredibly upset (video footage of tiger being shot not good for Kat's emotional constitution). Did a painting class in the afternoon as well.

Saturday PM we had tickets to David Attenborough which was fab! except for the slideshow kept going when it wasn't meant to, and they ran out of books so I wasn't able to get an autograph. ! Returned around 22.30 to find the indian guys had cooked curries! Yum- late night snack. Awoken in the early hours buy a rain storm then by the indians getting up at, yep half five!!!

Sleep deprived on Sunday I finally made my mind up on the binculars and bought the Opticron Verano 8x32s. Went to the Jonathan Scott presentation on the Big cat stars and got a signed copy of Mara Serengetti.

Got a lift home, keeled over.

the end!

ETA: Request to Mods- please can you delete my post in Penny's thread that is now replicated above as I do not have the option to do so.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Jo

Sounds like you had fun at the bird fair, although not much sleep! Sorry I didn't make it, I was a little under the weather a week ago and was feeling a bit delicate last weekend.

Opticron Verano 8x32s.

Hi Jo

Glad you had a good time at the fair, although tiring too by the sounds of it! Opticron are a good make - I looked at the new Opticron AURORA BGA Roof Prisms and seriously could not see a vast difference between them and my Leicas!!!!!!! I had a pair of Optolyth Alpins before which I think were part of the Opticron company (someone here will correct me on this if I am wrong!).

I was going to do the painting class - forgot about that!!!! You didn't need to do that though Jo after seeing some of your artwork on here, especially the white crowned sparrow that you did;):t:.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back