• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding near Roses, Nr Barcelona, Spain. (1 Viewer)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for birding around this are. I know there are two good reserves nearby, but is there any good mountainous reserves, or anywhere within an hours drive? Also, is there anywhere betwwen where we ar staying and Perpingan, France?

Thanks for any Information, Birding Maniac

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for birding around this are. I know there are two good reserves nearby, but is there any good mountainous reserves, or anywhere within an hours drive? Also, is there anywhere betwwen where we ar staying and Perpingan, France?

Thanks for any Information, Birding Maniac

Roses is very close to Aiguamolls de l'Emporda, an excellent wetland reserve that has a wide range of species of birds. I visited the reserve in the very hot summer of 2003 and am planning to go back next year. For information on the birds check out a number of threads and posts on the forum. Have a bit of a search!

I also remember forum members posting reports in which they stayed on Costa Brava and drove for a day trip to places in the Pyrenees. I cannot think of any reserves in the Pyrenees east of Ribes de Freser, but a lot of places in the mountains have a range of bird species unknown or very rare in the British Isles. Cadaques is less than 20km from Roses and well worth a visit. Not only was Cadaques and neighbouring Portlligat home to Salvador Dali for much of his life but the surrounding area is worth checking for birds, especially if you can reach the end of Cap de Creus.

Allen

Emporda, Spain

Hi birding maniac

You can check out more details re Aiguamolls de L'Emporda and the Cap de Creus on the following links. You don't mentioned when you intend to travel but there are sections/lists/photos for 'all year round', 'migration seasons', 'winter' and 'summer'.

Cap de Creus: http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/Spain birding/CAP birding trip.html

Aiguamolls: http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/Spain birding/AE bird watching holiday.html

There is no easy access to the better places within the Pyrenees from Roses, with, as Allen says, the Vall de Nuria near Ribes de Freser being perhaps your best option.

Although I tour to an area further west, you can get some idea from this:

Pyrenees: http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/Spain birding/PYR bird watching tours.html

If you can post when you're coming I may be able to help further.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back