• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Daft Question (1 Viewer)

davidtucker

Hi
I bought a moth trap, some time ago, only used it once but very interested in the moths caught and would like to use it more, but aware when in use it lights up half of "East Yorkshire". My question is this, When using your moth trap how long do you leave the light on? I do not want to get complaits from the neighbours..... any advice welcomed

I don't think that we are the right people to ask, what about the neighbours? Either, ask them what they think about it, or try and block the sides of the light that beam next door using sheets or something, or if all else fails, just suck it a see!

Hi
I bought a moth trap, some time ago, only used it once but very interested in the moths caught and would like to use it more, but aware when in use it lights up half of "East Yorkshire". My question is this, When using your moth trap how long do you leave the light on? I do not want to get complaits from the neighbours..... any advice welcomed

You are presumably using an MV light. If this causes problems with your neighbours try changing to an actinic light - nearly as effective but much less bright.

David

or move house to a rural area!
I use an MV light, admittedly in a rural area, but I have spoken to my neighbours to make sure that they let me know if they are disturbed by the light. I live under the approach path to Gatwick so at first I was worried that I might be invaded by the anti-terrorist brigade but so far they haven't taken any interest. My neighbour, who is a pilot, says that if it were a flashing light it might be a different story! But I have heard of a police helicopter investigating a moth trap!
Ken

I've on numerous occasions been 'caught' moth trapping by police.

The funniest time was when two women pulled up in a smart police car, commenting on my net that I was holding, apparently it looked like a spade and that they thought we were burying a body.

You are presumably using an MV light. If this causes problems with your neighbours try changing to an actinic light - nearly as effective but much less bright.

David

I catch far, far less in an actinic. In my old house it was possible to put my MV in a place where it wasn't likely to disturb anyone. Now I've moved to a much better house but a much worse garden and have reluctantly switched back to the actinic due to disturbance. The problem with asking neighbours is they might be disturbed and be too polite to say.

I wish would someone would invent a light that was a compromise between an actinic and a MV.

Answering part of the question - you'll find that leaving the trap on all through the night will produce greater variety. Some species tend to fly well after dusk, others are more active immediately after dusk. Only caveat is when running from dusk to dawn in the summer, especially when the Robins and Blackbirds are fledging, you have to get up early before the moths around the outside of the trap are eaten.

Although in a suburban estate, I am lucky enough to have a big scrubby embankment on one side which the 125W MV trap faces - I can block off light from both our and our neighbours house without it affecting anyone or the results.

I also run an actinic at the same time, but out of line of sight of the MV. If MV too bright for your situation, an actinic will give results but generally not as good as the MV as most actinics are a low wattages. I've pimped mine right up though to 80W (twin 40W U-tubes) and on some nights it matches or even outperforms the MV. More recently I've modified it further with a 100W tungsten bulb to give more visible light - seems to work okay in the garden.

Other bulb options are blended (still bright visible light and no choke required, but these are nowhere near as good as MV in my experience) or blacklight MV (never tried one, but again I don't believe they are as good). One I sometimes use when out and about is a 250W metal halide - definitely don't try this at home, very bright and will burn your eyes out ......

I want to take up moth traping, but do not know how to start. Can anyone suggest how to or where I can find out how to make a moth trap, preferably portable any advice will be helpful. thank you. I have just been given the Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland

I am wondering if anyone has experimented with any of these new "superbright" LED lights and if there are any available that give off light that is likely to attract moths?

I want to take up moth trapping, but do not know how to start. Can anyone suggest how to or where I can find out how to make a moth trap, preferably portable any advice will be helpful. thank you. I have just been given the Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland

There are lots of threads on this subject on Birdforum and elsewhere. This one might help:
http://forum.downsizer.net/archive/...lding-a-skinner-moth-trap.__o_t__t_44948.html
You'll see that he gets his design from one that was first put up on the BBC website but later removed. The only bit I don't agree with is that moths fly within one or two feet of the ground. He clearly hasn't watch bats chasing them around at tree canopy height!
Good luck... let us know how you get on,
http://www.angleps.com/guides.php is worth a read too.
Ken

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back