• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Images (1 Viewer)

vidler23

Mad Butcher
Canyou help please.

Took this picture yesterday, is the green colouring normal, is the coluor of the butterfly. or is sunlight reflection. The sun shine was bright.

Any comments would be gratefully recieved.

thanks
Vidler23 :h?:

Attachments

• Meadow.jpg
    Meadow.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 244
vidler23 said:
Took this picture yesterday, is the green colouring normal, is the coluor of the butterfly. or is sunlight reflection. The sun shine was bright.

Any comments would be gratefully recieved.

Color correction can be a big bag of worms. Understand that your posted image will be viewed on a wide variety of screens. Some are LCD, most are tubes and the tubes will have various phosphors and user settings. Ad to this the variety of ambient light conditions and you can see that it is a real mess.

I end up using these rules of thumb - neither of which will allow me to give you any specific direction.

1) Does the resulting image match what you recall seeing and is the image believable in that context.

2) If there are essentially neutral tones (whites and greys), does the color picker in a program like Photoshop show about equal levels of red, green and blue. This is especially useful if there are multiple items that should be relatively neutral. If all have a bias toward a certain color, then it is likely a color cast issue.

3) Make sure that whites and greys - as measured with a Photoshop or similar picker - actually appear white and grey on your monitor. Look away and look back.

The book I use as a guide is "Professional Photoshop" by Dan Margulis.

As a final note, I find that a bias toward yellow is common in digiscoped images. That perception may be patially due to my own aesthetic biases or the way my monitors are set up, but I don't think that is the entire story. Your image does seem slightly yellow to me, but that is a highly subjective evaluation and could be flat wrong. Here is the minor tweak I made.

BTW - its a nice image regardless.

Attachments

• flutterby.jpg
    flutterby.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 202
One thing I find strange about both versions is that the difference in color os so strong between the two wings on the butterfly. The left wing looks more green than the right one to my eyes

Niels

Both versions look fine to me though the original has warmer colours - perhaps I have been looking at too many digiscoped images ;)

With all that green vegetation around I'm not surprised there may be an element of green tinge. As the wings have a degree of transluscence to them I am sure that if it had been sat on a red flower then the tinge would be different!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back