• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 80-400 OS tele lens (1 Viewer)

Joy2

undefined

I am planning on purchasing the Nikon D70. I presently use the Olympus 730uz with a tele converter. I wish to purchase a tele lens for the D70 and would appreciate if anyone has used the above lens and what their opinion is to its capabilities in photographing birds. My price range would stop at around $1600 Canadian . If anyone has a lens that they find very satisfactory for birds within my price range I would also appreciate their imput. Thanks a lot. Joy

The price is very similar to the Nikon 80-400VR, which I own and love. There's very little information on this Sigma in the net. The Nikon version, although being a slow focuser (relative to the fast AFS lenses), is relatively light and the sharpness is excellent even fully open. Highly recommended.

I've had the Sigma 80-400 OS lens for a short while now. I've used it on a number of occasions with my Canon 300D. I've found it to be pretty good. I really wanted the Canon 100-400 IS lens but that worked out at an extra 300 uk pounds. The lens seems to work very well. It's pretty heavy but the OS seems to cope pretty well. I also have the Sigma 1.4X convertor. The lens has to be used in manual mode when this is fitted which is a bitt fiddly.

I would be interested to hear what other people think of this lens. Especially when compared to the Canon.

Some of the pictures I've posted have used this lens. Check out my gallery.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back