• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a budget tripod for 400mm.. ++ (1 Viewer)

John_N

Looking for a budget head for 400mm.. ++

Hi,

You guys have to be the ones to ask..

I'm looking to upgrade my tripod and on another site they're suggesting the MTL9361B as a good base which will work for macro etc too.

So now I'm thinking about a head and good tripod technique for BiF, do you have any suggestions?

Apologies for the misleading subject - I tried to adjust as my question evolved but it seems I cannot change the subject as seem from the main list!

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
Giottos do make some nice gear and at a fair price i think you would be happy with that tripod, regarding technique tripods/monopods and hand held all have there uses, the trick with a tripod is to pick the bif up very early as its relative speed is slower when its distant .
Once a bird gets within 40/50 yds the speed is 10 fold faster also it helps to pree focus prior to picking the bird up as this stops you trying to focus on something that just keeps jumping in and out of focus as the lens hunts for a very small target.
Rob.

Excellent cheers Rob, I did pick up the MTL9351B as its a little lighter and unless I massively upgrade lens it can take it anyway.

Thanks for the tip though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back