• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (3 Viewers)

Blowing properly here now... I have to take my dad out to Aintree over the tide, but I'll have a look before the tide and start up again as soon as I get back. If I get petrels this am, they will be certain after the tide.

Nothing at sea at all just now, except the faithful Long-tailed Skua. The Gulls have come a shore which is a sign its getting rough

What was presumably the same bird was at the Mersey mouth first thing this morning.It was picking items of the surface of the water in an almost marsh tern style.Nowt else seabird-wise. Two LTSs lingered at the mouth of the river for a month or so about 7 years ago, looks like this bird is doing similar.

WEll in now... I have to go in 10mins - taking my dad to Hospice... but, LP 60ft fromt the prom just now, coming through the wader roost

Can possibly make it tonight but I won't be there until 5:30-6 at best. I imagine the tide will be well out then. Would New Brighton be the best option?

Cheers

Leasowe : midday to present-
15+ Leach's inc a couple still lingering
5+ Manx
3+ Bonxie
2 Fulmar

Cheers
Jason

Nice one Jase. I'm stuck in Gothenburg until later this week. It's peeing down here and the hotel is a boat but no sign of any seabird mvement apart fro mthe odd cormorant.

Keep your eyes skinned for the albatross everyone.

Decisions decisions...3 hours in the car for the chance of a leachs or champions league footy and no flak off the missus....really don't know what to do!

Save it for a day when you can get a good 10hours of retina damage in.... there will always be another Leach's day.... maybe even tomorrow

Jane - given that the first Leach's flew through the wader roost on the rising tide could a visiting birder get really good views by placing themselves strategically, but of course well camouflaged (say as a Seal) within the wader roost? ;)

Hi Jane. Unfortunately I couldnt get down today which is a real shame :( Im gonna try and get to north wirral for high tide around 8.00 tomorrow and I was thinking of Leasowe lighthouse or Wallasey Coastguards. Is leasowe better in weaker winds due to the cutting across the bay factor? Or would either be a decent bet?

Cheers, Liam

I would expect New Brighton at first light may be quite productive. It was noticable today after high tide the wind dropped considerably which pushed the seabirds way out beyond the turbines. Will probably have another go tomorrow though.

Cheers
Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back