• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid 8x42 tested vs HT and SV Field pro. (1 Viewer)

Again, given the specs and ambitions of the NV, the HT and / or the SLC should be the benchmark, as both seem to be the optical equivalents. I would be amazed if the NV are really a big step [or any step] up on these two, as they both have great contrast, colour neutral, clean whites, very bright and great CA / glare control.

I do agree with you about the HTs, which I've only compared with the NVs at the Birdfair, rather than in the field as I have done with other premium bins. Its a long time since I tried SLCs. Both NV and HT have a wonderfully bright, easy view. The NV, to my eyes, though, delivers better contrast, richer and more accurate colours, more apparent FOV and less veiling glare. If I was to rank premium bins in terms of personal preference, it would be:
1. NVs
2. HTs/UV HD +
3. SVs/SFs

Hi,

The NV sounds very interesting....! The ONLY issue in my HT is the veiling glare looking at a close angle toward the sun. If I remember well, the FL I had until the HT was better in this matter.
To me, the veiling glare es a BIG issue in a binocular...studying, or trying to understand what is the cause of the veiling glare in the HT, I see the ring of the focusing lens to be too bright, reflecting the light. Its painting or so, should be less reflecting one...This looking from the objectives, of course. May be this, plus other things, could be a thing to correct in the HT. And, in my samples, the resulting veiling glare problem is greater in the 10x42 than in the 8x42...
If the Leica NV is so superior in this, may be a binocular to look at very seriously...

Thank you!

PHA

Well, I'm looking forward to trying a pair at some point in the future. Alas, my stable is really full to overflowing so I wouldn't be adding them, no matter how great they might be. Right now, the HT hits all the right notes.

NV 8x42---short review, bullet style

++Build quality and accessories: very good; among others, I like the rainguard, which I rarely do; also a very good system for the objective lens caps.
--Ergos/handling: hard to find the best grip, the open bridge/double hinge is somewhat useless--despite moving the focus knob higher than usual, there is not enough space for 4 or even 3 fingers. Focus knob unusually close to the eyes, I tried to focus a few times by trying to turn the upper hinge instead of the knob! Also rather heavy on the neck--- and it feels a bit cold in the hand, especially as there is no rubber armor between the tubes.
--Focus knob a bit on the stiff side on my sample, also seems to have a tiny play when you change directions.
--Blackouts (without glasses): slight but relatively frequent, despite very good eyecups with multiple stops-- they seem a bit too short (the ER=18mm, and the eyecups extend about 14mm); Use with glasses should be fine (but I need to twist up the eyecups till the 2nd stop).
++/--Apparent 3D: quite visible. My explanation: the upper part of the FoV has a small negative curvature (so that the background is in focus), whereas the lower part has a lot of positive curvature (so that the foreground is in focus)--this yields 3D impression (the -- is for the excessive curvature in the lower part).
--Pincushion: acceptable.
--CA: rather conspicuous off axis: a crow, with a whitish sky as a background, looked almost like a green parakeet when moved off center!
++Contrast: very good, likely due to a very good light transmission curve and very good baffling. As remarked by others objects do stand out well separated from the background and the view is vivid/vibrant. (I briefly watched a soccer game in San Francisco and I could not stop looking at the yellow and red jerseys... ).
++Glare control: very good, likely the best--and this despite the fact that looking at the lower part of the FoV one can see 2 bright reflections from 6 to 5 (right tube) and 6 to 7 (left tube), likely from a lens ring or the prism edges--like in the SF8x42!

Peter.

Last edited:
I had a play with them at the Leica dealer in Mayfair London a while back. Not a lot to see other than roof tops in the mews where they are located, so I can only talk about CA and build quality.

They are very well blackened internally. Leica also seem to use baffles very well compared to some. There is some CA if you look for it. I found the focus a bit to light but still positive with no play. I don't wear glasses but am slightly short sighted (I use a Nikon 7x50 SP which has a field flattener as an optical reference point. A traditional design that scores well in all areas without the use of ultra low dispersion glass. http://www.allbinos.com/291-binoculars_review-Nikon_7x50IF_SP_WP.html)

I'm fairly new to binoculars but I've worked in image making for several decades in stills and the film industry. I've been somewhat surprised at the lack of attention to detail in some binocular construction. Lens elements not edge blackened, silver screws and unpainted metal visible internally, shiny plastics etc. even on what are quite expensive models. Cheaper ones look like something that fell out of a Christmas cracker, elements with no coatings , out of collimation etc. The sort of thing the cat drags in and deposits on the kitchen floor.
This seems to apply to some vintage and new binoculars I've looked at. Something I've never seen in the more expensive camera optics.

Last edited:
...++/--Apparent 3D: quite visible. My explanation: the upper part of the FoV has a small negative curvature (so that the background is in focus), whereas the lower part has a lot of positive curvature (so that the foreground is in focus)--this yields 3D impression (the -- is for the excessive curvature in the lower part)...

Wow, really? Asymmetrical field curvature top to bottom (like tilted away plane of best focus)? That would be unprecedented, no? How does it affect looking at the favorite subject of most lens reviews (i.e. a brick wall perpendicular to the viewing axis)?

--AP

Alexis:

I agree that my explanation is simplistic, and I might well be mistaken, but I do not have a better one. Still searching for a brick wall....

Peter

Pesto,

Compare the view with the binocular either held normally or upside down. You should quickly be able to test your hypothesis to a very reasonable level of confidence.

Kimmo

Kimmo:

I have tested "my hypothesis" in several ways, with or without glasses. While it's not easy to quantify, I am pretty sure that what I said is what I saw. IMO the NV's apparent 3D image is one of their main strengths---it might be created by my eyes or my brain, and others might not be able to see it, but it's what I like most about these bins and I do not want to lose it by looking at it from all possible directions.

Peter

Peter

To make sure about the 3D, while holding the binoculars with your right hand, rub your belly with you're left while simultaneously hopping on one leg. If you still see it while performing these gyrations, the 3D most assuredly exist. :king:

All kidding aside, these sound like a fantastic binocular and I'm glad you enjoy them, use them often and don't look back.

Robert

Kimmo:

I have tested "my hypothesis" in several ways, with or without glasses. While it's not easy to quantify, I am pretty sure that what I said is what I saw. IMO the NV's apparent 3D image is one of their main strengths---it might be created by my eyes or my brain, and others might not be able to see it, but it's what I like most about these bins and I do not want to lose it by looking at it from all possible directions.

Peter

We can't find the NV's in the U.S. still. I see B&H stocks the 10x42 for immediate shipment but the 8x42's they are projecting a February ship date.

If someone knows where the 8x42's can be acquired in the States I'd love to know.

The presumed 3 D effect is not subjective I think
At my last test , I discovered the effect while panning over building tiles at evening sun.
Other people saw also this effect when comparing with SF and SV.
I think the effect is highly dependent on the setting and lightning situation of the scenery you look at
I must agree great colour neutrality , contrast and anti glare properties

Every day I spend with the Noctivid in the field is a pleasure and i use to go out with my other binoculars to compare.

Mostly 8x42 HT and 10X42 SV.

The color is true and saturated, is not over boosted like in the ultravid HD, in fact the coatings looks completely different.

The veil glare is absent compare with the other 2 and the flare resistance is second to none, in fact with the others 2 binoculars i know when the sun is near of my FOV due to the huge crescent and washed out view with the Noctivid i have to be very careful to don,t look at the sun.

The DOF is clearly biggest than on 8X42 HT in fact i still amazed how people don't notice it or see it....well some people don't notice the green cast and low contrast of the SF .....every person see different.

The transparency and sharpness is among the best if not the best.

There is a noticeable 3D effect....not at the level of my Zeiss Oberkochen 10x50 special 25 anniversary but better than the HT and much better than SV.

To really appreciate all of this a short view from your local seller is not enough take one and go out, compare it against you best and beloved binocular and you will see.

For me this Leica is simply the best out there.

I will sell very soon my 8X42 HT and if they come out with a Noctivid 10x50 i will send my 10X42 SV as well.

Have a nice day !!!!

I will sell very soon my 8X42 HT and if they come out with a Noctivid 10x50 i will send my 10X42 SV as well.

Have a nice day !!!!

Hahaha, better start saving, what will that cost, 3000 euro? (glances at his disused motorcycle, how much will that fetch...)

For now I am still quite happy with the 10x50 Ultravid even sitting next to the 8x Noctivid. It's not a fair comparison of course, but the Ultra holds it's ground well as a 10x, including its own 3D effect. For now. :king:

Anyone compare the 10x Noctivid with anything?

Yep better than my Mk1 10x42 Swarovision, i knew what i couldn't see with them, and now i know what i can see, and its just better, the image is a lot sharper and brighter, the 3D effect is pretty amazing as well,the new NV 10x42s tick my quite critical wants in a binocular, which is all i'm interested in really, be good to see as the year progresses how many i see out in the field, and i will obviously ask those that own them what they have to say....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back