• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID? (1 Viewer)

PhotoDon

I am at Kaibab Lake NP just north of Williams, Arizona. There is a bird nest on top of a 60-foot dead, debarked pine tree here in the campground. I have seen what I think are two adults and two juveniles in the nest. Other campers have said it is an eagle nest but I'm not so sure. I'm not havin' much luck getting a good picture of these fine feathered friends. When I got there this afternoon one of the big birds flew away but I could still see the other one looking over the edge of the nest. The bird was not active at all, it just kept chirping a peep-peep-peep sound as if protesting mine and Duffy's (my dog) presence in its neighborhood. I set up my tripod with the D90 and 200mm Nikor zoom with a doubler to make it the equivalent of a 400mm lens. The doubler does not include contacts for autofocus so I had to do that manually, as best I could. The picture is not that great but m'be somebody can recognize the bird. If it's a golden eagle it must be a juvenile because, although it's pretty large, it doesn't have the right markings, way too much white, and balds are not common here this time of year. It seems too large to be some kind of hawk. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• BigBirda.jpg
    BigBirda.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back