• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water bird in southeast Nebraska? (1 Viewer)

These types of birds are commonly called shorebirds in the US.

I thought that in Europe they were known as waders, where here herons and storks are called waders.

Last edited:
yea but i dont call killdeers water birds.. just a pain in the butt.. lol ( i have a group of 6+ breeding in my front yard)

huh i call em water birds, cuz i find em in the water... if i find em along a beach shore, then theyre a shorebird. lol

And how do you call them when they are leaving the water and approaching siltation areas or the shore?
A Spotted Sandpiper e.g. is never a water bird, though he lives at the water edge and search for food in the water. ;)

i would say that if swimming is not a birds primary way of feeding, then it is not a waterbird. if it wades in shallow water or feeds on shoreline areas, then it's a shorebird. if it is a heron or stork, then i call it a wader.

Thanks for the answer

As to shorebird/waterbird, in southeast Nebraska there is nothing we would call a "shore". We commonly use "banks" to describe the edge of water. "Shore" seems to imply large bodies of water this area does not have.

Thanks again!

George

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back