• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which pocket compact: Zeiss Victory 8x20 or Nikon LX L 8x21 (1 Viewer)

Hi Surveyor,
I am sure you know your binoculars, but, the pair on the extreme left in your photo look very much like the Zeiss 8x20 IF ones from the mid '60's. I have had several pairs, and on at least two of them, as the Zeiss name was merely painted on the smooth panel on the bridge, it had rubbed completely off through use. If they are Zeiss, you may be able to examine that area carefully for any trace of the name!
Regards, John

Hi Surveyor,
I am sure you know your binoculars, but, the pair on the extreme left in your photo look very much like the Zeiss 8x20 IF ones from the mid '60's. I have had several pairs, and on at least two of them, as the Zeiss name was merely painted on the smooth panel on the bridge, it had rubbed completely off through use. If they are Zeiss, you may be able to examine that area carefully for any trace of the name!
Regards, John

Sorry John, I thought I had mentioned they were Zeiss. I just meant there was no model name such as Conquest. You are right, without looking, the bridge is labled Zeiss 8x20 and either Germany or West Germany, not sure which.

Best
Ron

How have people found the ergonomics of the Victory both in the pocket (does that part of the hinge that sticks out a little cause problems) and setting IPD for a view.

I carry my pocket roofs in the case supplied by the manufacturer, so the slight differences in shape/dimensions are of no consequence. The cordura case for my Zeiss Victory is nearly identical in size to the leather clamshell case for my Leica Ultravid. Setting IPD on both of these is very comfortable. Also, they both hang flat against one's body (a very important issue for me) so the only reason I favor the Ultravid is for the larger focus knob. I do like the Zeiss focus, and I don't find mine to be too stiff, but anyone who prefers to focus with their left hand will not enjoy the enforced asymmetry that is right hand biased. As for distortion, I don't find it objectionable (i.e. I don't notice it in use). Swarovski is always improving their binos so maybe things are different now, but I've never been impressed with their pocket roofs (except back when they were competing against the Leica Trinovid and the predecessor of today's Zeiss Conquest), especially, as I recall, with respect to brightness and minimum close focus (for butterfly watching).

--AP

.... Swarovski is always improving their binos so maybe things are different now, but I've never been impressed with their pocket roofs (except back when they were competing against the Leica Trinovid and the predecessor of today's Zeiss Conquest), especially, as I recall, with respect to brightness and minimum close focus (for butterfly watching).
--AP

I have had the chance to try the Swaro 8x20 last week and the week before (3 different units), and I was very much impressed by their image quality as well as their overall quality - especially so, because of previous reports they may not be competitive anymore.
I was indeed thinking along the lines of some internal "brushing up" that might have taken place without much pomp and circumstance.

The image was in fact amazingly bright to me, given their size. Sharpness was at least as good as in a "made in Germany" instrument of the 40 mm class, and the contrast was clearly better.

They are monstrously expensive but I am tempted to give them the edge by a small margin (with the Nikon HGL neck to neck).

Tom

Have never seen the 8x Nikons, but the 8x Swaros are pretty comfortable to use. I did not spend a lot of time setting my eyes to them. Once I had them set, the view resembled a typical 8x32 of good mid price class.

Santa, I will take those, no problem.

I bought the Zeiss 8 x 20s a few years ago & regret having done so. They're optically OK--bright & sharp--but much too fiddly for my taste. I haven't had a chance to try other brands, but my guess is that a 2.5mm exit pupil is just too small for a satisfactory viewing experience, at least through binoculars & for me.

Last edited:
When considering compact (mini) binos, it's evident that one must place a very high value on ultimate compactness to want to go down the premium roof prism road.

A good reverse porro prism 8x25 will play on the same field (optically) with the previous mentioned roofs and will reward the user with much better ergonomics and a larger exit pupil at a fraction of the price.

In my case, Nikon ProStaffs have a larger diameter eyecup with a broader surface where it contacts your eye socket and this makes for a much more comfortable bin to use. It has a larger focus knob that's easier also. The shape of the ProStaffs (and other rev. porros) are a joy to hold both in your hand and to your face as compared to mini roofs.

I paid $118. for the ProStaffs. That's well less than 1/5 of what the Leica Ultravids cost in the US. For a bin that's primarily intended for keeping in the glove box, pack, purse, or other place as a "you never know" kind of optic, I know what makes sense to me.

FWIW, I've had three mini roofs including Leitz Trinovids that I used for 18 years. Though in their day they were probably the best available, the ProStaffs are superior in every way, except when folded for storage. I mention this as the layout is pretty much the same as current mini Leicas, though optically inferior.

Last edited:
A good reverse porro prism 8x25 will play on the same field (optically) with the previous mentioned roofs and will reward the user with much better ergonomics and a larger exit pupil at a fraction of the price.

Could not agree more. I bought a Vortex 8 x 26 Vanquish for less than $100 as a "leave in the car- take anywhere without worry" binocular and was so impressed with performance and ergonomics that I sold my Nikon 8 x 21 LXL within 2 weeks of first use. The Vortex is noticeably brighter, waterproof, less afflicted by CA, equally wide field and, since the Nikon is not a true pocket binocular, just as handy.

Could not agree more. I bought a Vortex 8 x 26 Vanquish for less than $100 as a "leave in the car- take anywhere without worry" binocular and was so impressed with performance and ergonomics that I sold my Nikon 8 x 21 LXL within 2 weeks of first use. The Vortex is noticeably brighter, waterproof, less afflicted by CA, equally wide field and, since the Nikon is not a true pocket binocular, just as handy.

Wow, "forum telepathy" in action.

This was the "final hope" reverse porro that might make an alternative but no one has reviewed it ;) Along with the Bushnell Elite 7x26 Custom Compact Binocular which is good but not waterproof.

And recently I just got both a 6.5x and an 8.5x Papillo (and they're on sale at Cameraland for $90 now) which both have surprised me with their range of focus. The 6.5x is perhaps the ultimate "naturalist" bino for people interested in a range of animal wildlife from mammals and birds down through insects and even flora! So long as they don't go out in the rain much or bird for tool long: the depth of field is rather poor and there is a bit of a hazy view (not as good as most reverse porros I've seen).

So you don't see the "Nikon is not a true pocket binocular". Too big? Too heavy?

As Kevin McConville says it comes down to how much one values those last 3 or 4 oz and the "in a pants pocket without a big bulge" size. It does come at a price.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Always best to go to the source ...

http://vortexoptics.com/binoculars/view/vortex_vanquish_8x26

352 feet or 6.7 degrees FOV

And they don't mention BaK4 prisms so I presume they are BK7. Just narrows down the light cone, looses a little light at the edges and vignettes the edges of the beam.

Strange that they didn't decide to use BaK4 prisms though.

The Bushnell Legend 8x26 does and has a very, very nice view. FOV is rather narrow at 5.5 degrees and the bins are rather heavy at 14oz and a bit "brick shaped".

Wow, "forum telepathy" in action.

This was the "final hope" reverse porro that might make an alternative but no one has reviewed it ;)

So you don't see the "Nikon is not a true pocket binocular". Too big? Too heavy?

As Kevin McConville says it comes down to how much one values those last 3 or 4 oz and the "in a pants pocket without a big bulge" size. It does come at a price.

Thanks for the info.

Unlike the Leica Trinovid compacts which are pocketable, the folded Nikon in its (very nice leather) case is actually suprisingly bulky and unsuitable for almost all pockets. It does fit with effort into the side pockets of a Barbour, but the Vanquish does as well. The Nikon is probably marginally heavier than the Vortex but the weight of the Nikon was never an issue for me.

To another poster's comments, I think the Vortex/Eagle Optics website is accurate as to FOV as 352 feet at 1000 yards or so seems right, which is actually fairly wide for a compact and perfectly usable. I doubt the prisms are BK7 as the exit pupils show perfect circles and no vignetting.

I own several excellent reverse-porros, I've tried many others, and I can honestly say that I prefer the ergonomics and optics of my premium pocket roofs over any of them.

--AP

I went with the 8x20 ultravids after years of carrying 10x25 Zeiss conquests, because they offer much better contrast and eye relief. However, zeisses are always far lighter than the leicas and the horizontal-riding pouch they come with is much better at getting binoculars into action quickly. I'm thinking of getting a zeiss pouch for my ultravids, actually (heresy, I know).

Anybody a fan of the Canon 8x23A?

Reverse Porro
Aspheric lenses
Multi coated
9ozs
338ft

Not Waterproof

I remember looking at these long ago and being impressed. Are they made in Japan?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back