• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-throated Dipper (1 Viewer)

linkahwai

Nyfors in Tyreso Municipality of Sweden is the paradise for white-throated dipper. I spotted at least 5 of them in such a small area of unfrozen waterfall. It was a joy to watch them perching on the rock, singing and chasing each other. The most interesting is to watch them searching for food by submerging into the fast-flowing water from one site and reappear in another site. One of the dipper doing this at the same site repeatedly and continuously for more than 20 minutes! Due to the sunny weather and harsh light condition, it is difficult to get a good photograph with even exposure, luckily some of the photos are still satisfactory.

For detail, see my blog: http://kwbirding.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• IMG_8750dng.jpg
    IMG_8750dng.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8760dng.jpg
    IMG_8760dng.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8872dng.jpg
    IMG_8872dng.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8959dng.jpg
    IMG_8959dng.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9057dng.jpg
    IMG_9057dng.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 48
Nyfors in Tyreso Municipality of Sweden is the paradise for white-throated dipper. I spotted at least 5 of them in such a small area of unfrozen waterfall. It was a joy to watch them perching on the rock, singing and chasing each other. The most interesting is to watch them searching for food by submerging into the fast-flowing water from one site and reappear in another site. One of the dipper doing this at the same site repeatedly and continuously for more than 20 minutes! Due to the sunny weather and harsh light condition, it is difficult to get a good photograph with even exposure, luckily some of the photos are still satisfactory.

For detail, see my blog: http://kwbirding.blogspot.com/

They are some brilliant pictures, thanks very much for sharing them.;)

Last edited:
Dippers are really unique and very interesting to observe while they are foraging! From your pictures, it looks as if the sun was nice and bright that day...did you catch any glint from the nictitating membrane? I'll never forget the first time I saw that and thought it was so odd that I had to go do some digging in books to figure out just what was going on.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back