• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

playing song recordings (1 Viewer)

I do not but I'm sure quite a few do.

I would like to point out though that breeding season is not a time you should be using bird calls. The birds are going through enough stress during breeding season and they do not need the added stress of a perceived interloper.

I don't do that. It seems too disruptive. Occasionally, if nobody else is around, I make a hissing noise between my teeth, which I have heard can attract birds, but so far, it has only drawn the attention of an angry-looking song sparrow. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited:
do most people play bird call recordings when they go birding?
Matt
I would hesitate do play bird calls or songs in my area! Not only the federal state Nature Conservation Act but also the applying National Park Act are prohibiting it.
In many european countries it´s considered as disturbance and not allowed by law. I can´t remember to be aware of birders using that technic though I´m birding more then 30 years. But friends of mine are using sound recording devices as help by the ID of birds which they can not see.

I would hesitate do play bird calls or songs in my area! Not only the federal state Nature Conservation Act but also the applying National Park Act are prohibiting it.
In many european countries it´s considered as disturbance and not allowed by law. I can´t remember to be aware of birders using that technic though I´m birding more then 30 years. But friends of mine are using sound recording devices as help by the ID of birds which they can not see.

That makes sense, if you're not sure, record it and analyse later. I photograph birds and don't see anything wrong with recording the sounds you are not sure of. It helps you improve. I never use playback though, or flash for that matter. If I can't get close enough without disturbing the subject of my intended photo, then I go without. There is always another time.

I find it difficult not to chirp back :) As my music abilities are known to be null, any responding bird is just checking for the weird sound (like the Blackcap song may resemble someone talking)

I think, in moderation, tape luring is a valid means of drawing birds closer. Obviously, taking into account time of year etc.

It is used in the Pyrenees, for example, for woodpecker prospecting and I'm sure elsewhere. Generally, where birds can be heard and not seen. It is better to have an understanding of when a bird may respond because each is different. The window for White backed Woodpecker is short whereas Black respond year round etc.

The displaying Great Snipe at Cley was inadvertidly attracted to the hide by some tape playing of birders trying to familiarise themselves with the call....

I do not but I'm sure quite a few do.

I would like to point out though that breeding season is not a time you should be using bird calls. The birds are going through enough stress during breeding season and they do not need the added stress of a perceived interloper.

not just the breeding season but also when temperatures dip to around freezing or below. This is a time when birds are stressed and need all their energy to survive.

The book "the art of pishing" talks about this.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back