• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitchers flock to see UK's first snowy egret....... (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
OK I know I said I'd put them all in C&C but this one is important birding NEWS and thus I think should go in this Forum........

A rare white heron that has attracted thousands of bird watchers to Western Scotland was yesterday confirmed as Britain’s first ever snowy egret. The heron, from North America, was first seen at Balvicar, Argyll and Bute, on 5 November last year. A bird-watcher, Bill Jackson, had identified the bird by yellow markings at the base of its bill, its feet and the back of its legs. The snowy egret has been added as the 565th wild bird species in Britain by the British Ornithologists’ Union (BOU) and the British Birds Rarities Committee. Eric Meek, the Orkney-based chairman of the BOU’s records committee, said: "This is a first for Britain and is highly unusual because of the extraordinary length of its stay, and the number of localities at which it was recorded, visiting three different counties, Argyll and Bute, Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway."
More information - Scotsman

El Annie

conserv@tion today - http://www.habitat.org.uk/news1.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back