• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker holes? (1 Viewer)

meles

Yesterday, in a South Wales oak/ash woodland, I came across a tree with hundreds of small holes about 1cm wide in the bark, all the same size and evenly spaced, and resembling shallow pits rather than insect exit holes. They started below head height and went up at least 20 feet. The closest thing I have seen to this was an acorn woodpecker larder, or holes made by a sapsucker, but obviously these were in USA, not Wales. I have never seen anything similar in UK, though I have seen lots of woodpecker holes. Can any UK woodpecker species produce holes like this, or is there another explanation?

Yesterday, in a South Wales oak/ash woodland, I came across a tree with hundreds of small holes about 1cm wide in the bark, all the same size and evenly spaced, and resembling shallow pits rather than insect exit holes. They started below head height and went up at least 20 feet. The closest thing I have seen to this was an acorn woodpecker larder, or holes made by a sapsucker, but obviously these were in USA, not Wales. I have never seen anything similar in UK, though I have seen lots of woodpecker holes. Can any UK woodpecker species produce holes like this, or is there another explanation?

Yes, Great Spotted Woodpecker can behave like a sapsucker. I think it was Rob Fuller of the BTO who observed this in Thetford Forest and wrote it up in the 1990s. Others may also have observed this behaviour, but I'm not aware of any prior publication, but knowing Bird Forum members...
MJB

I have seen a riddled tree in our local forest (it was later felled) and the culprit would be the Great Spotted as they generally chase all other woodpeckers away

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back