• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (2 Viewers)

Sunday, August 30:

27) Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Lovely! Nothing as pretty up here today, but despite the glowering cloud all around, there were birds all over the gardens and streamside vegetation this morning. Nutcrackers very numerous (they even saw one flying over Geneva this morning!), Black, Green and Great spotted Woodpeckers, juvenile Bullfinches(young male in photo), still 2 juv Marsh Warblers around (one in the garden briefly), a Pied Flycatcher , a few passing Yellow Wagtails and plenty of Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers.
Typically, I was standing by the stream behind a neighbour's garden when I saw two Tree Pipits arrive, plus a Lesser Whitethroat. for once the birds cooperated, the pipits posed on the wires at the bottom of the garden later, and better still, the L W came into the tree bordering our property, a life Garden Tick, No. 117! I wonder if one day I'll match the 125 I had on my garden list in 16 years at Selsey in Sussex............

91 Tree Pipit
92 Lesser Whitethroat

Attachments

• Bouvreil jeune mâle.jpg
    Bouvreil jeune mâle.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 56
Similiar to a chiffchaff.

Bird similiar to a female chiffchaff though lighter in colour . Light cream on front, brown wings some delicate white markings at lower back ,short tail feathers dark outside and inside white or cream.
Seen bird several times today on a branch of the apple tree .

New species for my land this week ...a little stunner, passerine - had predicted something not so very different, but this was not on my radar ...any guesses?

Bird similiar to a female chiffchaff though lighter in colour . Light cream on front, brown wings some delicate white markings at lower back ,short tail feathers dark outside and inside white or cream.
Seen bird several times today on a branch of the apple tree .

Sounds very like a Pied Flycatcher to me Brenda, female/young look a bit like the bird you describe.

Having seen...Spot.Fly, Com.Redstart, Whinchat, Tree Pipit, Lesser and Common Whitethroat + a mega Gropper(imaged) just a 5 minute bike ride from the house this week none of which I could tick :-C It came as a nice...(almost expected) surprise when Spot.Fly graced the Hornbeam opposite this am!....no.69.

Penduline ? Or have you had one?

Very close ...I have been on the look out for a Penduline Tit for the last few years, habitat is getting ever better for them.

But the surprise came on Monday ...Black Woodpeckers bashing away, Nutcrackers scoffing hazel nuts, then a ping ping in the reeds just yonder ...

No mistaking the call, but took at least 20 minutes before I saw the bird, eventually rising out of the reeds, rising quite high and then diving back into more reeds a couple of dozen metres beyond ...one Bearded Tit!

Total on my plot now stands at 172 species ...many of the recent additions reflecting the fast changing habitat - it was closed canopy forest ten years ago, but thanks to Beavers and assisted by Black Woodpeckers, it is now largely open water, shallow and reeded in large part. Bitterns booming this year, Water Rail and Moorhen breeding, Savi's Warbler singing.

120. Bearded Tit

Last edited:
Lovely! Nothing as pretty up here today, but despite the glowering cloud all around, there were birds all over the gardens and streamside vegetation this morning. Nutcrackers very numerous (they even saw one flying over Geneva this morning!), Black, Green and Great spotted Woodpeckers, juvenile Bullfinches(young male in photo), still 2 juv Marsh Warblers around (one in the garden briefly), a Pied Flycatcher , a few passing Yellow Wagtails and plenty of Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers.
Typically, I was standing by the stream behind a neighbour's garden when I saw two Tree Pipits arrive, plus a Lesser Whitethroat. for once the birds cooperated, the pipits posed on the wires at the bottom of the garden later, and better still, the L W came into the tree bordering our property, a life Garden Tick, No. 117! I wonder if one day I'll match the 125 I had on my garden list in 16 years at Selsey in Sussex............

91 Tree Pipit
92 Lesser Whitethroat

That's a good haul yesterday Richard! 125 garden list for Selsey, very nice. My Sussex garden list is 119 which I think is pretty good for inland. I'm on a migration route in a direct line between Ashdown Forest and Beachy Head. Lots of Swallows and House Martins this morning.

Last edited:
That's a good haul yesterday Richard! 125 garden list for Selsey, very nice. My Sussex garden list is 119 which I think is pretty good for inland. I'm on a migration route in a direct line between Ashdown Forest and Beachy Head. Lots of Swallows and House Martins S this morning.

That's a cracking total for inland Sussex I must say Joanne - mind you, we've all got some work to do to get near Jos' 172 (unless Ryan's garden list is approaching it?)!

A New Bird for the Garden...Hummingbird Hawk Moth this evening....I don't suppose I can tick it....:-C

Attachments

• P1150411 (2) Hummer Hwk.Moth no.2..jpg
    P1150411 (2) Hummer Hwk.Moth no.2..jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P1150424 (2) Hummer Hwk.Moth no.4..jpg
    P1150424 (2) Hummer Hwk.Moth no.4..jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 43
Is that valerian it's on? Late flowerer ?

Yes Red Valerian H.....I ''dead headed'' the first blooms earlier in the year, and this second crop certainly ''delivered''. HBHM occurred several years ago on the same strip of Valerian. My wife and grandson both saw it as they got out the car, unfortunately I was getting the shopping from the boot and consequently dipped at that time! They were gleeful and I was disconsolate :-C however not any more ;)

PS...interestingly it was present ''on and off'' between 6.35pm and at least 7.50pm, must have been low on ''tucker'' after such a long flight from Southern Europe/Africa.

It's seven weeks when I last time been lurking here. And in all those seven weeks I have seen "magnificent" four new birds in my garden! :eek!::-C
OK - It´s not so depressing as it sounds at first. Two of those birds are totally new for my all-time-garden-tick-list.

#47. White-tailed Eagle. This is first of those two "newbies". And I see this majestic bird again one other day. They have been spreading to more and more East between Gulf of Finland at recent years. B :)

#48. Spotted Flycatcher

#49. Hobby. Two different sightings for this one too.

#50. Wren. Second "newbie". Wren isn't such a "gardenbird" in Finland as it is in UK or Middle- and South-Europe. I can only live in hope that it would be come "gardenbird" here too some day. :t:

Swifts are all gone and only few of swallows hanging around southern Fin anymore - Winter is coming...

Swallows , this morning they were looking very ready to move on further .
Sorry earlier today I wrote starlings when of course meant swallows!

Advice how can I tell the difference between crow and rook in flight at this distance? The tree shown is by my garden hedge. Pic not clear taken from indoors.

Attachments

• 14 september 2015 001.JPG
    14 september 2015 001.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back