• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

old gitzo studex 300 (1 Viewer)

Who uses this tripod still.

Not sure if mine is the 300 but I have an aluminium Series 4 tripod with a 3-way pan and tilt head.

I bought it in the early 80s on the last day of Photokina directly on the Gitzo stand for considerably less than the shop price. It has 37 mm top leg sections and an all-up weight of over 5 kg so I think the stand personnel were probably not too keen on taking it back with them!

It served as a base for my first scope but the aluminium in cold weather and the weight made it rather uncomfortable, and for birding it has been replaced with a basalt Gitzo Series 2 and Berlebach 552 2-way head.

John

i have bought me second hand a gitzo studex , i have cleaned the treads from the leg locks and applied some anti seize pasta on them .Also the rubbers on the leg locks are gone , i goes but i have to find something to put on the leg locks , like a new rubber ?

i have bought me second hand a gitzo studex , i have cleaned the treads from the leg locks and applied some anti seize pasta on them .Also the rubbers on the leg locks are gone , i goes but i have to find something to put on the leg locks , like a new rubber ?

Perhaps not ideal, but you could try using short lengths of bicycle inner tube.

John

Perhaps not ideal, but you could try using short lengths of bicycle inner tube.

I've been using bicycle inner tube on my old Gitz Reporter 2 for years, and it works nicely. It works so well that I never bothered trying to get replacement rings from Gitzo.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back