• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

60mm or 80mm scope (1 Viewer)

Can someone advise me on the difference between 60mm and 80mm scopes.
I appreciate the size and weight difference and that a lower magnification lense wold be required for a 60mm but what difference is there in the optics under normal viewing conditions?
I notice when out birdwatching that 60m seems to be the preferred

I am initially considering the Opticron HR66 GA ED and the Kowa TSN821M as they are in my price range.

Any help on the lense sizes would be greatfully received.

Can't really help with the techicalities but you might want to add the Opticron ES80 to your list. It weighs about the same as the HR66 but costs around £500 with lens and stay on case.

The Opticron ES80 is the one we plumped for mainly because the larger lens gives excellent light gathering in low light conditions. When buying we compared a number of different scopes in a side by side test and the ES80 had the best optical and light gathering quality of the bunch we tried.

I've heard people saying that 80mm scopes are heavy and unwieldy but I have no problem carting the scope, tripod, bins and a Canon 10D with 400mm lens mounted.

LouiseWillson said:
Can someone advise me on the difference between 60mm and 80mm scopes.
Any help on the lense sizes would be greatfully received.
Louise

Its all about the amount of light being collected into the objective end and being delivered to the eyepiece. The bigger the objective the more light ( Similar to water going down a plughole I guess, except as far as I know it doesn't spin! ). Anyway the more light you get into the objective allows you to use the scope for longer at times when the light is dim and overcast and after sunset. You may have noticed whilst birding during the evening that you can see something more easily through your Bins then the naked eye!.
HTH

I recently changed from a 60mm to and 80mm and have been very pleased that I did. The extra brightness is great - sure the scope is a bit heavier to carry, but it's well worth it for the extra brightness in poor light.

I've been in precisely the same predicament - and as my son already had a smaller scope I thought I would eventually go for one, too. But I recently upgraded eventually to a Nikon ED82A because it is so compact in length despite the large objective lens.

But a good ED 60mm scope such as the HR66ED is surprisingly bright - but not necessarily especially lightweight (the Opticron HR66 is no lightweight, I believe, and, as someone has said, their larger scope, the ES80, is about the same weight and is ED, too). My son's scope + tripod is certainly no less difficult to carry around than mine using neoprene tripod straps, but I have to say he loves his scope and would never swap.

Also, I haven't noticed that smaller scopes are as popular as 77-85mm but they are catching on. Certainly, in late gloomy winter light, my son would agree that the 82mm Nikon objective does allow a noticeably brighter view.

I would say what others have: if money is an issue, have a close look at the Opticron ES80 as it is very good value (but mine - and the remaining stock in the shop - had bubbles in the lens and other marks and had to be returned, so do check carefully). The HR66ED is also highly regarded and was reviewed well the other month. But don't forget that even a top brand like Nikon has a good value 60mm ( the Fieldscope III) which also has a strong following (and www.warehouseexpress.com are still selling the only just discontinued and very highly regarded Nikon ED78 at an absolute knock-down price). Finally - maybe give the Nikon ED82 a look over - it's as sharp and bright as you'll find anywhere.

Last edited:
good advice from Scampo as usual

you could get a second hand ED Kowa 614 - incredibly light and portable and a new Nikon ED78 (warehouse express) as well for less than the new Nikon 82 or Swarovski

The more birding you do the more you will appreciate the lightness of a scope and if you ever wish to bird abroad you'll be very glad of a 60mm ED - no fun carrying big scopes in warm places and a 60mm ED on a shoulder pod can even be used in a rainforest.....

LouiseWillson said:
what difference is there in the optics under normal viewing conditions?

Very little; low magnification eyepiece+large objective+ED or fluorite glass = extended viewing later in the day/ earlier in the morning.

You should balance the type and time of your birding with the extra cost/weight factor.

Try out as many combinations as you can under field conditions. Don't rush into the purchase; the happier you are with it, the more you will use it.

Regards,

Andy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back