• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID small bird in Southern California (Irvine) (1 Viewer)

Common Raven

Need help with the following bird ID. Was sitting in marshes (San Joaquin Marsh) in Irvine today. Size was perhaps a little larger than a sparrow or large sparrow sized.
Thanks for suggestions,
Elias Zuniga

Attachments

• DSC02541-fixed.jpg
    DSC02541-fixed.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 131
Common Raven said:
Need help with the following bird ID. Was sitting in marshes (San Joaquin Marsh) in Irvine today. Size was perhaps a little larger than a sparrow or large sparrow sized.
Thanks for suggestions,
Elias Zuniga

They are Nutmeg Mannikins (Lonchura punctulata); adult and immature. They are non-native but are locally established breeders. I've seen quite a few nearby in Huntington Central Park. They are native to Southeast Asia.

jmorlan said:
They are Nutmeg Mannikins (Lonchura punctulata); adult and immature. They are non-native but are locally established breeders. I've seen quite a few nearby in Huntington Central Park. They are native to Southeast Asia.

Thanks Dave and Joseph. By the way, Joseph, let me take this moment to thank you for the wonderful web page you have on California Birding. It has been tremendously helpful to my family.

Elias Zuniga

Yes they were once in San Diego too around the San Diego river. The last two winters have been very dry and I have not seen them in about a year and a half. I think in wet years these little guys spread.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back