• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will This Tripod Work For A Celestron Regal 65 F-ED? (1 Viewer)

new_texas_birder

Hello

I am about to order a Celestron 65 FE-D spotting scope online.

Having never owned a spotting scope, I have no idea which tripod to get.

I like the reviews and price of this one: Slik Pro 500DX Tripod with 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head. All the reviews are about photography though.

here is the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/439930-REG/Slik_615_320_500DX_Pro_Tripod_with.html

Will this suffice for this scope? Will the scope fit on that head type? Is that 3-way Pan/Tint head good for just basic birding?

It says it supports up to 10 pounds, so I imagine it is sturdy, and the Celestron is a heavy scope.

If that will not work, or if you wouldnt recommend it, what about this Monfrotto Kit?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555387-REG/Manfrotto_055XDB_128RC_055XDB_128RC_Tripod_System_Black.html

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that Slik setup, so can't make specific comments. However, you'll probably be dissatisfied with a 3-way head for scoping. I started with one and quickly opted to get a fluid, video head, as on the Manfrotto setup you reference. I find it much easier to get on target and stay there with the video head than with the 3-way.

Either of those tripods will attach to your scope. The Regal has a 1/4"-20 mounting hole, and both these heads fit that.

--dave

I agree with Dave about the 3-way head. The 128RC on the Manfrotto is probably one of the most popular heads for birding use.

Unless you are very tall the 055 series may be taller than you need for use with your angled scope. Most angled scope users seem to prefer the 190 series. Having said that, you can always adjust the legs on the 055 to be shorter if you need to. Doing this will keep the center column extension to a minimum and provide the maximum rigidity of your set up.

Mike

Thanks Bob, I love the view. I see lots of hawks off that porch. Quite a few rodents in the field. I can see the Owl decoy up on the mountain when anyone is in the hawk watch site. With a spotter or binoculars of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back