• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A NEW Product? (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the insight Bill!!

Taking the human side apart, it is a great historical company tale. Something to be proud of.
Just googled shopviewed Captain's Seatlle and the guy on the pic with his hands near his b...s, is that you?

Jan

Hi Jan,

Don’t forget you have my email address. That way we need not clutter the site with too much personal stuff.

I think what I was most proud about is that, in 21 years, my boss didn’t give me one order. He would frequently ask “If this were your company, what would you do?” about certain things. But for the most part, he knew I was dedicated to the company and just saw to helping me help him.

I know neither of the men you saw. I think the younger fellow on the left (facing the image) is the new owner. I say “think” because I’ve never met him. A co-owner of one of the nautical magazines I used to write for said that he was a “yachtie” who wanted to settle down.

Anyway, attached is a photo Cory and me with some of our varied repair jobs, his level of work on a C-5, mine on a (now) 82-ear old Zeiss, and me at my Strasbaugh 6-DE grinding the primary for the Houghton I mentioned in ATM Journal #4. :cat:

Attachments

• 1510 copy 2.jpg
    1510 copy 2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 69
  • S 2 copy 2.jpg
    S 2 copy 2.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 53
  • scan 1 copy.jpg
    scan 1 copy.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Bill at Strasbaugh copy 3.jpg
    Bill at Strasbaugh copy 3.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 58
Hi Jan,

Don’t forget you have my email address. That way we need not clutter the site with too much personal stuff.

I think what I was most proud about is that, in 21 years, my boss didn’t give me one order. He would frequently ask “If this were your company, what would you do?” about certain things. But for the most part, he knew I was dedicated to the company and just saw to helping me help him.

I know neither of the men you saw. I think the younger fellow on the left (facing the image) is the new owner. I say “think” because I’ve never met him. A co-owner of one of the nautical magazines I used to write for said that he was a “yachtie” who wanted to settle down.

Anyway, attached is a photo Cory and me with some of our varied repair jobs, his level of work on a C-5, mine on a (now) 82-ear old Zeiss, and me at my Strasbaugh 6-DE grinding the primary for the Houghton I mentioned in ATM Journal #4. :cat:

Just to say that I have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks Bill

Hi Jan,

Bill,

Pic 1 shows under that red balloon a Swarovski SL and SLC, but what are the other great monsters?

Jan

Edmunds Red 4 1/4 f/4 inch ball scope.
Celestron C5? f/10
Nikon 20x120??
Questar astro
Galilean bino.

Not sure of others.
? Aero lens and 100mm and 90mm military binoculars and military spotter?

Last edited:
Bill,

Pic 1 shows under that red balloon a Swarovski SL and SLC, but what are the other great monsters?

Jan

We have a Questar (eyepieces for which originally CAME from Bushnell but were MADE by Kowa). Just behind the Questar was a Navy telescopic alidade, sitting on its box. To the right of that is the objective for an aerial spy camera. During the early 90s Edmund was blowing them out for $250. Sadly, some people think that if it’s a big lens, it’s a telescope in the making. That lens was designed to produced a 20-inch image heavily geared for the orange (about .630 microns) and not a 1-inch image at about .580 microns. But as you have seen with some of my troubles here, you can’t save some people from themselves without being accused of being “arrogant,” “condescending,” or worse.

Behind that is a 6-inch Fujinon bino used by the Coast Guard. Further on the right are two 120mm big eyes belonging to the Navy. In front of them is a sextant and a Mk104 gunsight. Plus various optical books and telescope making supplies. And, of course, a few sextants. I really liked working on and collimating them. I think recognition of that is why I got the Smithsonian work (some goodies from the Lewis and Clark expedition). The two attached sextants both came to me looking as though they had been stored in the bilge of a sunken ship for 5 years. But a thorough disassembly, overhaul, painting, polishing, and collimation made them look and function like new. The box for the Hughes & Sons was brought in tied with string. I thought that was odd until I removed the string and the box fell apart.

You may note that even the tiny brass handles (as well as each screw head) on the filters look new. They were each removed and polished individually. People think you can't make any money producing that kind of work. But if you love what you're doing and have the experience to produce it quickly, you certainly can. That wrinkle finish paint on the Hughes is pretty cool, huh? I've been taken to task for what has been seen as disparaging the work of others. But, I just shared what I know. You show me a master and I'll show you a good review. :cat:

Attachments

• IMGP0960 copy.jpg
    IMGP0960 copy.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMGP2396 copy.jpg
    IMGP2396 copy.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks for that.
I didn't do so well, but got some right.

I thought Vernon/ Brandon made Questar eyepieces, but maybe not.

Nope. You're right about those EPs. But the very FIRST came as mentioned.

Your observations showed you have an interest; that's half the battle.

Bill

I'm on my last can of Sperex VHT Wrinkle Finish paint....great stuff...hides a multitude of sins....

Yes, it does. But I used it because so many of the Hughes & Sons I had worked on were originally done that way.

Bill

PS I haven't been on OT for days because I am getting an endless stream of error messages. See attached. And, no, I haven't changed my email address in years. Would you ask the powers that be to look into it for me? And that last image has changed the YES to a NO probably a dozen times.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 7.23.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 7.23.58 PM.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 3.44.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 3.44.40 PM.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 8.32.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 8.32.21 PM.png
    177 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.30.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.30.11 AM.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.30.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 11.30.38 AM.png
    35 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Your OT problems seemed to be linked to the fact you might need to click the bottom button accepting the rules and regulations. You have to do that there every time, not just the first time you sign up. Anyway that is what it looks like it might be. However there is usually a box telling you you need to accept the forum policies. If that doesn't work let me know.

Last edited:
Your OT problems seemed to be linked to the fact you might need to click the bottom button accepting the rules and regulations. You have to do that there every time, not just the first time you sign up. Anyway that is what it looks like it might be. However there is usually a box telling you you need to accept the forum policies. If that doesn't work let me know.

Hi Steve,

From my last: "And that last image has changed the YES to a NO probably a dozen times."

I was on every day for a long time with no hint of a problem. Then bam. Is there no one at the switch with OT? No one who can find and solve the problem?

OK Bill. I'll PM Ted and/or Ilya and see if I can find out what is going on. I'll be in touch ;). Keep an eye on your PM box here and OT.

The two attached sextants both came to me looking as though they had been stored in the bilge of a sunken ship for 5 years. But a thorough disassembly, overhaul, painting, polishing, and collimation made them look and function like new. The box for the Hughes & Sons was brought in tied with string. I thought that was odd until I removed the string and the box fell apart.

You may note that even the tiny brass handles (as well as each screw head) on the filters look new. They were each removed and polished individually. People think you can't make any money producing that kind of work. But if you love what you're doing and have the experience to produce it quickly, you certainly can. That wrinkle finish paint on the Hughes is pretty cool, huh? I've been taken to task for what has been seen as disparaging the work of others. But, I just shared what I know. You show me a master and I'll show you a good review. :cat:

What wonderful instruments Bill.
Hope you get Opticstalk sorted out.

Lee

Bill,

OT info is in your PM box. The account is active so some SNAFU it seems.

I sent you a tester PM there as well. It said it sent OK.

Last edited:
Bill,

I'm sure it did, but just like the idiot message saying a new password had been sent, it may have been sent to Mars, but was most certainly NOT sent to the address I've always used. Also, if I could check my OT mailbox, I would probably be able to get in. I can't do ANYTHING.

And while I'm in a snit, I would like to mention that so many times, when I'm not typing these memos with a real word processor, I get closed out and have to start all over—Just like I had to do while typing THIS memo.

It seems that No one on the OT end is willing to own the problem. Anyway, I'll be out of the picture until Monday evening at the earliest. :-C

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

I'm sure it did, but just like the idiot message saying a new password had been sent, it may have been sent to Mars, but was most certainly NOT sent to the address I've always used. Also, if I could check my OT mailbox, I would probably be able to get in. I can't do ANYTHING.

And while I'm in a snit, I would like to mention that so many times, when I'm not typing these memos with a real word processor, I get closed out of OT and have to start all over—just like I had to do while typing THIS memo.

It seems that no one on the OT end is willing to own the problem. Anyway, I'll be out of the picture until Monday evening at the earliest. :-C

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back