• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

U.S., CA- Dead Great Blue Heron (1 Viewer)

bphoebe27

Svalberd
While walking at a nearby slough, I found a dead Great Blue Heron (adult). There were blue feathers littering the ground, and the large, majestic bird was in a twisted position. It was slightly mauled, with one side of its face completely ripped open to reveal bones, muscle, blood, and the remnants of a brain. The body overall was intact, except for a few ripped areas in the skin revealing blood and muscle. I have never seen such a large bird (especially a heron!) dead in this way. I was thinking a Bald Eagle may have taken it out, or possibly a car may have hit it (it was near a road, but the ripped face doesn't seem quite right for being hit by a car, and I also think one would stop if one saw a large heron on the road). Do you have any ideas on what happened to it?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back