• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spectacle wearer. (1 Viewer)

I looking to replace an ancient pair of binoculars for something more up to date and want pair of 7x42? or 8x42?etc rubber armoured?if possible such as the swarovski?nikon?or others. I am a spectacle wearer budget upto £800.00, what do you out there think may be suitable?. Open to suggestions. Thanks

I looking to replace an ancient pair of binoculars for something more up to date and want pair of 7x42? or 8x42?etc rubber armoured?if possible such as the swarovski?nikon?or others. I am a spectacle wearer budget upto £800.00, what do you out there think may be suitable?. Open to suggestions. Thanks

You might have a local resource for chatting in Ray Larsen of the Orwell Astronomical Society in Ipswich. My recommendation would be to get an eye relief of 18-23mm.

Cheers and welcome,

Bill

Welcome East,

Bill gives a good start. Your best bet is to try your potential bins and see how they pan out for you, both for seeing the full fov, effects on alignment, and CA, and 'ease of view'. There are many factors involved in the Eye Relief you will need - whether you are myopic, hypermetropic, or some other, the symmetry of your face, the curvature and spacing of your glasses off your face, the diameter, curvature, and stand-off of the eye cups from the ocular lens etc, and on and on and on ..... :cat:

My eyesight is myopic, and I usually need ~17mm or more. Interesting that I back the eye cups out by Exactly the same smidge for the 16mm ER Zeiss HT 8x42, and the 20mm ER Swarovski 8.5x42. The lesson there is that you can't always believe the ER specs you read either, especially in concert with your own unique facial characteristics - you'll have to try them for yourself ....... :t:

Chosun :gh:

I have been spending well over two years getting to grips with this problem. I am myopic, with a high prescription and have some bins that work well, but others that do not, including Swaros with 19 and 20mm specified eye relief.

In the thread "eye -relief rule of thumb method", Typo - for whom I have great respect for his binocular reviews, wrote:-

"It seems different companies tend to either use the true eye relief, the distance fron the lens to the exit pupil, and others the available eye relief, the distance from the rim of the eyecup to the exit pupil, as Pete describes. A minority seem to just make it up. Available eye relief, is obviously more useful for spectacle wearers and I wish more would adopt it. I suspect the reason some don't is that the true eye relief is part of the product's optical spectification and is covered by the relevant ISO standard. Interestingly it currently allows a 5.5mm tolerance around the specified value. I think that might drive all of us to despair."

Although I have succeeding in making a fix, once to a Swaro and once to a Zeiss, for inadequate eye - relief, it is generally difficult to overcome. I now have closer fitting frames but this solution brings, for me other problems.

Too much eye relief for specs wearers is relatively easy to fix, basically by putting O rings over the eyepiece tube to move the eyepiece rim further out. Err on the side of caution! I need different eye relief for each eye.

Opticron offers a wide range of binoculars, apparently measuring eye relief by the 'available method' see above.

'At infocus' and Opticron have demonstration days, some of which may be near you.

See http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=337359&highlight=Events.

HTH

Welcome to the forum.

As the others have suggested, the best answer is to pop into a shop and try a few. Fortunately North Norfolk has a few options. CleySpy in Glandford has possibly the widest choice and best view, but OneStopNature in Burnham Deepdale and InFocus in Titchwell are well worth a visit too.

David

Last edited:

Eastie, if you are able to travel then go to Cley Spy in Norfolk where you can try out dozens of different bins overlooking Cley reserve. Studying specifications and reading recommendations can only take you so far. Picking up the bins and trying them out is the very best way and Cley Spy must be one of the very best places to do this. It would be worth the cost of getting there and back.

To find out more go to: http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/

Good luck

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back