• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3x Mono Tripler Moncular (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Has anyone ever tried these out:

Zeiss 3x12B Mono Tripler Monocular with Adapter.

how practical are they? It sounds like a good thing and I know these adapters have been around awhile but I have never seen a person use one or know of a person that has one.

Do they work? How easy are they to work and can you realistically see much or is your bino moving all the time (due to magnification) that it is not worth looking into.

I know there are other brands out there and certainly they are cheaper than a Zeiss.

I sold my scope but would like the 'reach'....

Thanks, jim

I've got the Zeiss 3x12 Mono. It's a nice toy with good optics, very useful for assessing the quality of binoculars and scopes, and in some cases even as a booster to get a bit more detail. I sometimes use it, for instance, in combination with the 24x WA on my Nikon EDIIIA if I need more magnification for a quick look at some distant bird. I've also occasionally used it in combination with my 20x60S Mono for a quick look at something. It's not perfect, but it works OK.

However, I don't really use it in combination with my binoculars in the field. The resulting magnification is too high for handholding, so I'd really have to put the binoculars on a tripod in order to see any more detail, the image becomes pretty dim, and the field of view is very small. In other words: It works, but it's a compromise. I think it works best with binoculars with large objective lenses, eg. a 7x42 or an 8x56, resulting in an 21x42 or a 24x56. But you'd still have to make do the very small field of view, a loss of contrast and so on.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back