• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Am I completely nuts? (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

thinking about selling my 7x42 FL and getting a pair of Swarovski 8x32 SV,
less weight, better eye relief, better color rendition?

but also weaker twilight performance, less stable view, narrower field of view (marginally)

nut or what?

:brains:

Last edited:
In summer it shouldn't make much difference in Sweden. As the other 3 seasons progress and regress your 7x42 will be more versatile.

Bob

No, I don't think your nuts. They are my two favorite "all around"/price is no issue binoculars for birding. The appeal of the SV, for me anyway, comes down to edge performance and physical size. The FL, on the other hand, just has that raw image quality which I believe results primarily from the 7x magnification (better depth of field) coupled with the exceptionally high light transmission, CA control and wide field of view.

In a perfect world, it would be really nice to own both.

I don`t think anyone could be called nuts for buying an SV, but selling a 7x42Fl ?, that`s another matter !

Have both if you can.

No, I don't think your nuts. They are my two favorite "all around"/price is no issue binoculars for birding. The appeal of the SV, for me anyway, comes down to edge performance and physical size. The FL, on the other hand, just has that raw image quality which I believe results primarily from the 7x magnification (better depth of field) coupled with the exceptionally high light transmission, CA control and wide field of view.

In a perfect world, it would be really nice to own both.

yep, one for winter and one for summer,
;)

Do it, Ves. You will find out what the SV is like, and what a 32mm will do, which will be better for you in the long run than owning the world's best binocular. Whatever that is. Even if you don't like it as much as your 7x42 FL, you won't be suffering quite like the early Christians! Oh, and yeah, you are nuts for sure. (It takes one to know one.)

Ron

I would be tempted to keep the FL and buy a Conquest HD 8x32 to go with it.

But I would say that wouldn't I? :smoke:

Lee

Am I completely nuts

Nope..................its a Nikon 8x30EII o:D

Well 8x30 is my prefered size enjoyed many hours with my charles frank nipoles
I had in 1971 metal armoured have had them serviced once in that time
nice and light to carry, can get a bit stiff on the central focusing wheel
in the winter months but thats all, Its nice to have a good local quality optic.;)

I just want to find the holy binocular grail, is that too much to ask?

Yes, it is. The truth is there's no holy binocular grail, just lots and lots of people who claim to have found it. Just look around this forum ... :)

Hermann
(who's still wondering if anybody got which
literary character he referred to in his first post)

Yes, it is. The truth is there's no holy binocular grail, just lots and lots of people who claim to have found it. Just look around this forum ... :)

Hermann
(who's still wondering if anybody got which
literary character he referred to in his first post)

Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

Attachments

• Cheshire_Cat_Tenniel.png
    Cheshire_Cat_Tenniel.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 50
thinking about selling my 7x42 FL and getting a pair of Swarovski 8x32 SV,
less weight, better eye relief, better color rendition?

but also weaker twilight performance, less stable view, narrower field of view (marginally)

nut or what?

:brains:

Factors to enter into the equation:

1. Sweden is a loooooong country, which goes from about 57* latitude in the south to above the Arctic Circle in the north. The further north you live, the more exit pupil and aperture you need.

2. No matter how much aperture or exit pupil your bin has, it won't matter if your entrance pupils don't open wide enough to take it all in.

3. Have you tried the 8x32 SV EL? If not, do you know if you are sensitive to "rolling ball?" The two bins in question have quite different distortion patterns.

4. The low light levels in Sweden makes everybody nuts. Use a full spectrum lamp for an hour in the morning, it might help with your decision.

5. How important is 3-D effect to you? 7x42 roofs give a better 3-D effect than 8x32 roofs.

6. Aperture, smapature...the bin that's the most convenient to use is the one you will grab walking out the door.

7. Nothing to add, I just didn't like ending on 6.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back