• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (12 Viewers)

Filey currently has loads of Common Scoter, Eider, a few Velevet Scoter, Long Tailed ducks, GND and RTD. Good numbers od waders - knot, dunlin, purple sandpiper, turnstone, barwit most at close range (<12').

Red Grouse will be on the North Yorks Moors but could also be seen just off the M1 in the pennines if you fancy a slight stop off on the way up.

Hooded Merganser still knocking about.

Hi all

Just a quick request for some local info...

It looks like I'll be heading up with a carload from London to twitch the Black-throated Thrush near Whitby at the weekend (assuming it does the decent thing, and stays put!). Rather than do a manic there-and-back in one day, the plan is to stay oop north overnight (maybe Bridlington) and take in some 'proper' birding in the general area and en route back home - makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

So... I'd be interested in any recommendations for sites that are delivering the goods right now. In particular, it'd be good to catch up with species that we don't see much of in the SE - I'm thinking Red Grouse up on the Moors, any good sites for decent seaduck numbers, anywhere with photogenic Willow Tits, Dippers, that sort of thing. Obviously this doesn't have to be hugely close to the BTThrush since we'll be driving back home on Sunday and can detour as necessary. If there's a string of sites that vaguely fit together in a sensible route, even better!

many thanks,

Willow Tit is easy at Potteric Carr, Doncaster, S.Yorks. Not near Whitby but a couple of minutes from the M18 which you may use to go back down to Essex if you depart from Bridlington.

North Duffield Swans

No sign Night Heron.loads wigeon/teal and shoveler;Odd gadwall and pair pintail.All 3 swans .

Attachments

• swan.jpg
    swan.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 72
  • swan2.jpg
    swan2.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 94
  • swan3.jpg
    swan3.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi all

Just a quick request for some local info...

It looks like I'll be heading up with a carload from London to twitch the Black-throated Thrush near Whitby at the weekend (assuming it does the decent thing, and stays put!). Rather than do a manic there-and-back in one day, the plan is to stay oop north overnight (maybe Bridlington) and take in some 'proper' birding in the general area and en route back home - makes for a much more enjoyable trip.

So... I'd be interested in any recommendations for sites that are delivering the goods right now. In particular, it'd be good to catch up with species that we don't see much of in the SE - I'm thinking Red Grouse up on the Moors, any good sites for decent seaduck numbers, anywhere with photogenic Willow Tits, Dippers, LEOs, Twite, that sort of thing. Obviously this doesn't have to be hugely close to the BTThrush since we'll be driving back home on Sunday and can detour as necessary. If there's a string of sites that vaguely fit together in a sensible route, even better!

many thanks,

Forge Valley near East Ayton, near Scarborough has a feeding station on your left as you drive up the valley. There's a good range of species which can be photogenic; GSW, Jay, Siskin, Nuthatch etc. It's a good spot for Marsh Tit as opposed to Willow.

A bit further on at Hilla Green / Langdale End the bridge on the bend in the road over the river / beck? is a good spot for Dipper.

If you want to head a bit further north from the Black-throated Thrush, South Gare (Redcar) currently has a flock of showy Snow Bunts. and a Black Redstart at the very end in the pilot compound. It often has Purp. Sand at the end as well although another birder mentioned on Sunday that none were present when he looked.

Filey currently has loads of Common Scoter, Eider, a few Velevet Scoter, Long Tailed ducks, GND and RTD. Good numbers od waders - knot, dunlin, purple sandpiper, turnstone, barwit most at close range (<12').

Red Grouse will be on the North Yorks Moors but could also be seen just off the M1 in the pennines if you fancy a slight stop off on the way up.

Hooded Merganser still knocking about.

Where, still at Scaling Dam?
I'm going for the thrush tomorrow and it would be nice to have a pop at the merganser as well.

is this bird an escapee?

Who knows for sure whether it is an escape? I don't think it has been adjudicated on yet by the BOU etc. I'm only thinking of it for insurance, if it is accepted then bingo, if not then I wasn't twitching it.... honest guv...I was twitching the thrush, just took a wrong turn ;).

Basically if the thrush puts in a quick show tomorrow then I'll probably head over the river for the merganser, if I've got to hang around for the thrush then time dictates that I got to leave the merganser.

As above the merganser is north of the river but if you're driving up from London it's worth a thought.

Yet another option on Red Grouse is to go into the North Pennines and try find Black Grouse as well.

Fairburn info centre is probably one of the best places to see Willow Tit and right next to the A1

Filey is pretty good for seaduck at the moment but the Yorks coast isn't really all that good for them in numbers except on passage, maybe the cleveland coastline is better (remember seeing good numbers of Velvets there a few years ago) when looking for a possible White winged.

G

I went for the thrush today, only about 6 people so hardly a crowd. The bird showed well, even ignoring the rubbish van when that reversed down the street, indeed the van upset the birders more...lol. I had some 'naked' eye views that were brilliant when it decided to move to the garden of number 3 and sat in the front of the tree right by the garden fence.
It has got a habit of going missing regularly, whilst I was there today it was away for 30 minutes and then again for maybe 40 minutes but in the cold it felt like weeks.

Thanks to Keith for hanging around (in the freezing bloody cold) to show me the 'Thrush'.
It duly arrived and performed impeccably hopping about on the front wall of number 5. The bloke who lives there (a birder) was very pleasant but said the old dear next door is beginning to get a bit wazzed off - thinks we're trying to see her in her nightie I guess?!! So if you go maybe bear this in mind.

Anyway a quality lifer for me ..... then on to Holbeck (Scarborough) for another lifer in the form of a Med Gull. Polled up and waited 15 mins before I saw ANY gull at all - Herring and a LBB cruising the coast line. Retreated down the hill to Sainsbury's one stop for a 47p basics white loaf, returned to Holbeck, chummed the carpark - still nowt. 20 mins passed before a Black Headed noticed the feast and I was soon joined by another 40 or so with 1 adult Med Gull in amongst (ringed) - brilliant.

Ken.
I'm on regular rest days on a Wednesday, if I'm planning a trip then I'll pm you.
February is probably going to be tied up with BTO Atlas counts so maybe no opportunities there but after those are done then I usually get down to Potteric Carr or the coast.
You should have posted or pm'ed last night... I could have done with someone in the car with me, there were a number of unidentified birds that are still bugging me from the drive up there.

Last edited:
got 4 in total, 2 over by Pontefract and 2 by Allerton Bywater. The Pontefract ones are street walking (in the nicest possible context) so boring...spuggies, spuggies and crows. The Allerton Bywater ones include the western end of Fairburn and up through Ledston so get a fair bit of stuff.
pm coming your way with my mobile number

LSWs are always in the wood, and (at least before the leaves come on the trees) can usually be found given time, patience, keen eyes and a bit of tramping around, but going on recent reports this one seems to be quite regular at the moment in a tit flock that's hanging round the main path not far from the entrance to the wood on Beeley Wood Lane. If you come across a flock of tits that also has a few nuthatches and treecreepers among it then it's well worth scanning for the LSW too.

It's also been seen recently in the birches by the railway footbridge. In previous years the NE corner of the woods over the railway line have also been productive. Good luck if you go.

Thanks for the info Pete. Not sure if I will get time this weekend but its a possibility. If not, I'll try it in 2-3 weeks when I'm in the area again, sounds like a good chance of connecting. I know where Beeley Wood is but never been in. Was also hoping to get up to the BT Thrush but definitely won't have time to travel that far! Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back