• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Diego Bird - Please id (1 Viewer)

CAnn

I just saw this bird in the bottlebrush. In my binocs it was overall sort of greenish, including the chest. I'm new to birding...is this a warbler?

Attachments

• DSC05978-a.jpg
    DSC05978-a.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC05979-a.jpg
    DSC05979-a.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 128
Thank you, but I looked at some photos of the gray flycatcher and don't see any green...is it ever greenish overall? Because the bird in my photographs was very distinctly greenish overall. The green color in my poor quality photo isn't just an artifact of the surrounding light from the green leaves.

Thank you, but I looked at some photos of the gray flycatcher and don't see any green...is it ever greenish overall? Because the bird in my photographs was very distinctly greenish overall. The green color in my poor quality photo isn't just an artifact of the surrounding light from the green leaves.

Well, my second choice was a vireo of some sort -- this may be supported by what appears to be a distinct stripe behind the eye, bill shape and overall color.

Still could go either way for me, though.

Looks good for Orange-crowned Warbler (I have no idea why they named it that...). Any Empid. flycatcher would show obvious wing-bars and the bill of this bird is much thinner than a vireo's bill would be.

Definitely a wood-warbler (Parulidae) of the Vermivora genus, not a flycatcher or vireo. Note bill length and thickness (horizontal and vertical), tail length, general coloration, and structure. In addition Robert, Gray Flycatchers have very specified habitat and altitude range.

Orange-crowned for me.

Definitely a wood-warbler (Parulidae) of the Vermivora genus, not a flycatcher or vireo. Note bill length and thickness (horizontal and vertical), tail length, general coloration, and structure. In addition Robert, Gray Flycatchers have very specified habitat and altitude range.

Orange-crowned for me.

Ah yes! My third choice.

Thanks again, everyone.
And enjoyed your gallery, Gentoo. I have the time (for the first time ever!) this year to pay close attention to the birds around my house. My "heritage" coast live oak had to come down last November, because it was diseased and dangerous. It was huge and had been in the yard for >80 years, and sheltered my entire back yard and was a landing spot for falcons and hawks. But now I can see all of the sky, overhead lines, and surrounding trees, and so the smaller birds are much more observable. In the course of being addicted to following the course of my backyard Cali towhee nest and emerging babies, I have seen and learned to name the OC warbler, bushtits, European starlings, house finches (beautiful), house sparrow, and probably a white-crowned sparrow, in addition to the usual obvious mockingbirds, hummingbirds, crows, pigeons, and lovely doves (they are also nesting in my yard). I'm wondering where all the jays have gone. They were everywhere until about a month ago.

Thanks again, everyone.
And enjoyed your gallery, Gentoo. I have the time (for the first time ever!) this year to pay close attention to the birds around my house. My "heritage" coast live oak had to come down last November, because it was diseased and dangerous. It was huge and had been in the yard for >80 years, and sheltered my entire back yard and was a landing spot for falcons and hawks. But now I can see all of the sky, overhead lines, and surrounding trees, and so the smaller birds are much more observable. In the course of being addicted to following the course of my backyard Cali towhee nest and emerging babies, I have seen and learned to name the OC warbler, bushtits, European starlings, house finches (beautiful), house sparrow, and probably a white-crowned sparrow, in addition to the usual obvious mockingbirds, hummingbirds, crows, pigeons, and lovely doves (they are also nesting in my yard). I'm wondering where all the jays have gone. They were everywhere until about a month ago.
Thank you!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back