• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

matthompson

Hi guys....I'm fairly new to this lark (bum bum)! but I'm interested in seeing some Kingfishers and trying to getting some shots of a bird I havent seen since my youth (when I used to bird watch) oh and I'm only 32 now btw:) !

So are there any kingfisher hot spots, especially near Chelmsford or in Shropshire (I'm usually in one or the other).

Many thanks
Mat

Hi Matt

although pretty bird poor generally at the moment RSPB Rye Meads Nature reserve between Harlow and Hoddessdon can be good for Kingfishers. There are a breeding pair and they can be observed at the Kingfisher hide especially and some of the others

i was in maldon in the winter and got a kingfisher on the other side of the road from chigborough lakes (near the boat club) and there was one on a pool there, local said its there most of the time.

RYE MEADS is great for Kingfishers real comfortable hide never had to wait more than 15 minutes for one to turn up.

RSPB Vange at Basildon has a few resident that sometimes go near the hides. Although both times I've been there, very little else...

This reminded me of what i read on another forum.

nwbf post said:
I saw the Kingfisher fly full speed across the Lagoon from the direction of Tal-y-Fan Hide towards Benarth Hide - straight into a duck minding its own business in the water near the far bank. Didn't half give the duck a suprise.

nwbf post said:
Said Kingfisher nearly took my head off flying in virtually pitch black with no lights on

matthompson said:
So are there any kingfisher hot spots, especially near Chelmsford or in Shropshire (I'm usually in one or the other).

Many thanks
Mat

Don't know how far this is from you, but Fringringhoe Wick Nature Reserve, south of Colchester is good for Kingfishers and is a fantastic reserve all round (was my local reserve when I lived in Colchester for alot of years).

Best Wishes Penny

Penny Clarke said:
Don't know how far this is from you, but Fringringhoe Wick Nature Reserve, south of Colchester is good for Kingfishers and is a fantastic reserve all round (was my local reserve when I lived in Colchester for alot of years).

Best Wishes Penny
The Draper Hide at Rye Meads has been real great for Kingfishers, they appeared to have moved from the Kingfisher Hide to Draper.

Rye Meads R.s.b.p (great Give It A Try)

Took one of our friends youngsters to Rye Meads during the school holidays,anyone who has not been to the Meads should give it a try,this is birding in luxury,all the hides are clean with all the information about birds available in each hide,the paths are gravel so you wont get covered in mud,the staff are great and nothing is to much trouble they lent our youngster a backpack with Bins and lots of birdwatching info. As for birds it can be a bit patchy one day a visit to Draper Hide can give you more birds than you can cope with, the next very few, there were 100 Lapwings on the centre island plus a Kingfisher on the BLEACHED DEAD branches on the far left of the Draper hide I was told they have moved from the Kingfisher Hide,two Kestrel!s one very light in colour one very dark spent a lot of time perched on the two upright sticks on the far right near the grey sluice gates,after your walk round you can have a cup of coffee from the machine and watch the birds at the bird feeding station in the main building woodpeckers visit this station.If you are a birder who likes getting off the beaten track the Meads may not be your cup of tea as it is very what shall we say (civilized),if you want to introduce someone to birding or a day out with no hassle this is the place.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back